Threading problem

Weather it was the male or female part still havent figured it out and is still a puzzle, however the recent part turned out good, so your not the only one thats left hanging! the die was not adjustable which could have been the problem. LIke I said ,the male part was loose on 3 diffrent 10x 1.5 nuts so the problem points the male part>>>>>>>>BELOW the part on the right is the male with the fancy knurl end, that thread was M7x1.0

Attachments

• 100_3663.JPG
    100_3663.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Looking at the male thread, the thread appears to be incompletely formed. Assuming the female thread is made with a matching tap, I would consider the tooling to be of poor quality. In your post above, the male thread is too small, which confirms what I see. The die must be "mis-shapen" in its' cutting surfaces.

Another posiblity is starting the die almost, but not quite square to the stock. That would account for the mis-shapen threads and slightly undersized finish. This could be determined by running a nut all the way down to the shoulder. If it tightens up as it approaches the shoulder, it indicates a high probability of not starting true.

I nake a practice of single pointing a male thread whenever possible for a couple of passes. Then finishing with a die. It doesn't help much with poor quality tooling, but helps the die run true(r). I also have acquired a contraption for starting a die from the tailstock. I'm not sure if it's truely useful, but I don't do "production" work. The setup time is longer than makin a couple passes with a threading tool.

I double checked and both tap and die are M10 x 1.5 ..

when I ran the die was extremely hard to turn on the part so. am thinking the die or part wasnt the right size......

If the die wasn't sharp, or was sharpened wrong for your material, the force of cutting
could have caused the crest of the threads to flow, making a sharp-peak thread that
has material which interferes with the blunted-valley female thread form.
It's like knurling, cutting force RAISES material beyond the intended diameter.

This happens a lot with plastic pipe threads (and one solution is to whittle the
tops off the male part). Either honing the die, or finding the right cutting lubricant,
can help; trying a few other dies would be interesting.

just cranked out this M7 x 1.0 12L14 bolt with 2 nuts same material, other end was in the picture before but both ends fit just fine..a bit sloppy but thats my fault.

Attachments

• 100_3664.JPG
    100_3664.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back