Threading tool and holders

The lathe i am getting is the grizzly 7x14. Do i see myself threading more then a 1/2” thread? As of now no. I have threaded before but it was external only and it was on a much bigger machine. I have the hss stock already and just wanted to cut them to have them done. As i said earlier i just wanna get job ideas inline and see what stock i need or how i can plan to do it is all.

Okay, I looked on YouTube for a video for you and found this:

If you are willing to harden and temper your tool, it is easier to make one from O-1 steel. Rather than do a full description of the process, here is one done by a guy already. The process is simple and it works.

https://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=3523.0

After you make one or ten, you'll figure out that it is easier to just buy the thing because whether it is hardened tool steel or HSS, your extension limit is still the same - 4 times the diameter of the bar, and this is 4 times the smallest diameter of the bar. For small holes, this really limits the length of the thread you can cut. Carbide bars can go up to 10 times their diameter and hold their accuracy and that is what I would suggest for internal threading of small holes.

Ok my plan is to just make the external tools since that is what i will need when the lathe comes in for a project

With regard to the question about the different inserts for different thread pitches, it's not the helix angle that's the issue, but full-profile vs non-full profile. The full profile inserts have a correct sized flat on the tip for the root and shoulders that cut and deburr the crests. You can also get partial profile inserts with a sharp tip and no shoulders.

From what I've read, helix angles are controlled by the shim seat. You can buy sets of shim seats for various helix angles. I think the usual shim that comes with the toolholder is good for helix angles around 2°, but I won't swear to it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I made one tonight and finishing another one tmr and ill show you pictures of how it came out. It took a little time to do but i think it came out nice. I still have to break the edges at work on monday. How do you cut your threads mikey do you use the compound at 29 or do you use the cross slide.

How do you cut your threads mikey do you use the compound at 29 or do you use the cross slide.

On my Sherline, I use the cross slide and go straight in. On my Emco lathe I angle the compound at 29.5 degrees. Both work well.

I learned with the 29. Is there a better relief angle for one or the other?

Not for me. The same tool cuts very clean threads on either lathe.

Okay well tmr ill post a picture of how the tool came out and see what ya think

Back