Threading Tools Keep Breaking

Side(front/leading edge relief) clearance is your first issue, and applies to HSS as well, look up helix angle in threading literature.
Spindle speed is too slow for carbide tools.
As has been noted most of the tools you have shown are not "threading tools", there's one in there somewhere, even that probably has little or no clearance.

Last edited:
As far as a tool post goes I made my own from a kit I bought from Metal Lathe Accessories for the G4000. They say you can make all of it on the lathe, but a mill will be very beneficial for that project. I now have 4 lathes and have made the tool posts on all of them except the Taig. I bought the tool post for it from Little Machine shop. I have next tuesday off, if you would like I will take some pictures. Just realize I am very much still learning too.

Please, just to be sure about your post, the tool is NOT set at 29.5 deg. to the work. The tool has to be set at 90 deg. (perpendicular) to the work usually with the help of a fishtail gauge. But FIRST set the compound to 29.5 deg. from perpendicular to the work.

Re the QCTP, a Phase II set with an assortment of holders would be a good place to start. The swing of your lathe determines the size you need. Now that I have used a piston style one for a few years now it seems like the best money I have spent so far.

Back