Three DRO questions (just want to confirm)

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
If I install a DRO like iGaging onto my micro mill, the operation is such that I manually spin the axis wheel while the DRO reads out the travel, correct?
So basically all I would be purchasing is the luxery of not having to count any more?
Secondly, does a DRO greatly increase productivity time?

Yes, that is correct.

A DRO saves a lot of thinking, and will increase accuracy. Also allows you to position a bit faster. So yes, productivity should be better.

What about protecting the scales? Is that another project in itself to rig something up to keep swarf and all away from them?

Yes you wild need to make covers for iGaging scales. Aluminum angle works nice.

The Igaging scales are pretty immune to normal crud, as are most others. A simple shield over them should suffice. I use magnetic scales on my machines and they are unshielded. Just wipe down the mag strips when needed.

You also won't have to account for lead screw backlash like you do with the handwheel dials.

Tom
Hi Tom
I read on another forum that that could be an issue without some kind of spring. The thread was from 2006 so maybe this is resolved with modern DRO’s?
This is getting to be a lot more than three questions.

Hi Tom
I read on another forum that that could be an issue without some kind of spring. The thread was from 2006 so maybe this is resolved with modern DRO’s?
This is getting to be a lot more than three questions.

That's OK, we aren't counting.

Back