Thrift Store And Yard Sale Stock

ih8beingold

Registered
Registered
Since I knew I'd be getting a lathe one day I started pricing material to practice on and was a little shocked at the prices locally (Canadian). Anyways, one day I was at a thrift store looking for deals and noticed some big brass candle holders for 2 bucks a pair, and no tax. Solid brass.....hmmmmmmmmmm. Needless to say I now make a point checking the knick knack section for solid brass, aluminum, stainless or whatever things. You would be surprised as to the diversity of usable materials that make up ash trays, platters, candle stick holders etc. from the 60's and 70's .You can also get a LOT of brass/copper shim stock out of thinner platters and wall plaques etc. Next time your at a thrift store or yard sale, pick up the shiny "crap" and see how heavy it feels. You might be suprised.

I check those places out too, sometimes there's a really nice tool in one of those two-dollar grab bags that they obviously didn't know what it was or thought it was broken. Theres a place around me that sells a lot of salvage stuff -- the real "junk" that you used to be able to find on almost every corner before the Internet and on-line auctions. Going through his automotive section can sometimes yield a can of old machine oil that somebody had in their garage for thirty years. And it's often the stuff that they don't make anymore or is really hard to find now.

-frank

Good advice in checking for "unusual" items to turn into usable stock. I will have to keep this tip in mind.

Glad this may have helped someone. Also keep an eye out for ugly brass statues. I am now the proud owner of a solid brass unicorn. :) I've also started a collection of small cast iron barbells (dumbells) The one piece cast iron ones with the bar and bells cast as one. I've read the cast can have a thick skin on these but for a buck or two a piece, I'm game. They look an awful lot like two flycutters etc attached together to me. Some come dipped in plastic but are cast underneath. Careful they aren't the cement ones. Pretty obvious when you look close. LOL Ever looked at a microwave transformer?? The common "laminated" steel ones are made up of thin strips of steel that will make awesome shims for my 4 way tool post and look awful close in dimensions to one another. Probably close enough to use as thin parallels for some of us on a budget. Nice size if your trying to make do with a drill press vise on a mill. Solid brass round drawer handles are cheap and common as well. They make easy awesome tiny brass hammer heads for sensitive pounding. Ever need a nice piece of stainless flat stock. Look at butter knives or those giant barbeque tool sets everbody gets rid of. Those big bbq burger flippers have a lot of material in them. Got an old lawnmower. The engines crank is usually nice cast as are most automotive cranks. Got an old transmission around? They are full of cool gears, beautiful shafts etc. Automotive axles are usually really nice steel. Bearing races for precission parallels. Shafts out of electric motors. It goes on and on. We throw beautiful stuff away every day. Look around. Happy hunting. Feel free to add to this post. Cheers

Thrift store printers have lots of nice steel shafts in them, perfect for machining. Plenty of other useful items as well.

Thrift store printers have lots of nice steel shafts in them, perfect for machining. Plenty of other useful items as well.

And the stepper motors and other "junk" in them are what spawned the 3D printers from the Maker community. If you do any electronics tinkering, finding an old printer or two and a scanner can increase your home shop capacity.

people don't always think outside of what stuff is...years ago i was at an auction where they had some big waiting room chairs..they where made out of laminated oak..the sides were about 36x 24x5 thick...heavy as hell....no one was interested..they where about to pass on then, i blurted out that they will make a great cutting board...the croud went nuts

Back