Thrust Washer Material?

boostin53

Registered
Registered
Hey guys, I need help....again! I'm in the process of finishing up my boring head ball turner. My boring head came in the other day with an MT3 shank. I made a new shank with a 3/4" diameter. I'm wanting to add a thrust washer at each end of the shank at the boring bar holder. I currently don't have bronze, any type of plastic suitable or anything.

What I do have is aluminum and possibly brass. Would the brass work? I know very little of thrust washers. Could I find something else to work at the local hardware store?

My local Tru-Value hardware has a hardware section with a zillion plastic boxes full of various hardware. They have one full of hardened thrust washers. Maybe you have a similar store nearby that can provide what you need.

I was only going to resort to aluminum if I had no brass. But I'm going to check a local hardware store or two and see what they have.

I know there are places in the Dallas, TX area that stock items like this, I just don't know where. Tru-Value and ACE Hardware are seldomly visited by me, but I will stop by when I get off work. Thanks guys.

as a suggestion, Mcmaster-Carr sells all the materials mentioned before
i'd be partial to bronze or delrin myself, but there is nothing wrong with phenolic thrust washers :grin:

Thrust washers with ball bearings between two hardened steel flat washers are available. The ones I make have a maximum shaft diameter of .087, too small for your application.

As Tom suggests, thrust ball-bearings are available, not expensive, make a big difference - I have 'em between QCTP top nut and the QCTP body, locks up much more solidly for less effort. I'll be using them when I get the necessary Circular Tuit to make a ball/radius turner!
If you wanted to be really flash, there are roller bearing versions, more expensive but can take higher forces...

Is the shank supported in suitable bushes radially or will you need suitable bearings there too?

Dave H. (the other one)

Well it turns out my local ACE Hardware has more than I thought! Never really spend much time in there. I picked up a handful of various sized bronze and delrin thrust washers.

I might eventually end up making a new holder for the boring head ball turner. That way I can utilize some nice bearings I have at hand with a 3/4" ID. Plan is to bore a recess on each end of the home made holder for the bearings. That way the only thing the shank of the ball turner touches are the bearings.

Using the thrust washers with a boring bar holder is temporary in my eyes. I just need to get it finished soon to make some decorative knobs for some drawer pulls for the wife. She keeps asking about them, which isn't bad. Because it means I get justified time in the shop!!!

However, I got side tracked earlier and ended up starting a spur of the moment project. I mounted one of my pistol slides in the milling vise. Did some layout for a few slots at the top of the slide. Cut the first slot then came in for the night. Purely for looks, might have to tune the springs if it throws off the cycling too much. Anyways, enough of the off topic mumbo-jumbo!

make sure you put a coating of grease on all surfaces bill

Back