Tick bite

lordbeezer

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Any of y'all find a tick on you and later start feeling bad please go to doctor and get a blood test for rocky mt.spotted fever virus..I was hard headed and waited til I felt real bad..3 antibiotics later still feel bad but better..could have not been so drawn out recovery if I went to doc sooner

I was down in Missouri and got tick on my shoulder and drove home to MN a couple days later. I went to my Doc and he used 2 twezzers, one on the head and one on the body . He pulled it out and gave me some antibiotics . It still stayed bump there as if something stayed in or some sort of infection.. I went in about 1 months later and he gave me some more antibiotics and some pregnizone pills. Then it scabbed over and it stayed a bump for about 4 more months.... A neighbor got limes disease and was tired and achie all over for a year. So hang in there and start taking some vitamins. Take care...

Last edited:
Pulled three off the dog today.

Greg

It's been almost 4 months of being worn out tired and joints hurting like hell..hopefully that's in the rear view mirror..still working on same pig cooker I started in June instead of the 6-8th cooker..all I'm saying is go to doctor if you're feeling bad for awhile..please...

Here in Minnesota, there are two common ticks seen, the dog tick and the deer tick. The dog tick is seen most often around here
but occasionally I will find a deer tick(Ixodes scapularis). Identifying the tick is key because the deer tick can carry Lyme disease.
Lyme disease is caused by a spirochete called Borrelia burgdorferi. Ticks go through larval, nymph and adult stages and the larval
ones are very tiny so at times can become attached without noticing them because they are so tiny. The adult deer tick is easy to
distinguish as well as the common dog tick. dermacenter tick.jpeg

This is the common dog tick(Dermacentor variabilis)ixodes tick.jpeg
Pictured here is a deer tick(Ixodes scapularis)

Lyme disease that has time to progress is quite painful and causes arthritic symptoms in large joints as well as other symptoms.
Knowing the enemy is very helpful to avoid becoming a victim of Lyme disease. Take the time to know the difference between
these ticks saves one from a lot of pain and worry.

A beekeeper friend of mine got Lyme disease, he died from it, nothing to mess with.

Deer ticks have become common in Wisconsin in the past two decades. Unlike the wood aka dog tick, these critters are very small, a half mm to a mm in size. They also are active whenever the temperature is over 40ºF so the season extends from March through November. They tend to inhabit grasses rather than brush. Dogs or cats are common collectors of deer ticks and can pass them on to humans.

I have several friends who have become seriously ill from deer tick borne Lyme disease. Lyme disease is a first cousin to syphilis and in advanced stages can cause very serious problems. The current medical belief is that if a tick has not fed for more than 36 hours, the bacteria will not have entered the host. If treated early (within several days after being infected), dioxycycline will prevent the disease from developing. Longer delays require more aggressive treatment. Additionally, once the disease develops, it tends to be chronic.

I get a tick bite requiring treatment about once a year on average. In those cases, the tick has been so embedded that it cannot be completely removed. Interestingly, I had requested that the urgent care physician surgically remove the remnant but was refused. He said, as had others before him, that the tick remnants would slough of in two weeks. In every case that I have had, it took a full six months for the bite to clear up. (the bite that I got on May 5th is still raised after five months.) If there is any possibility that a tick bite has gone unnoticed and not received immediate treatment or any of the common symptoms appear, I would strongly recommend having the test.

The medical profession in Wisconsin is very naive concerning deer ticks and Lyme disease. They are improving but there is still no real consensus as to best practices. For example, the current practice for a recent bite is a single 200 mg dose of dioxycycline whereas the doctor of my friend with the chronic disease recommends 200 mg of dioxycycline for 20 days. The current practice also recommends treatment only if the patient was bitten by a tick from an area known to have Lyme disease and the tick was positively identified as a deer tick, and the tick had been embedded for mor than 36 hours. Getting your health care provider to provide treatment is like pulling teeth but it is in your best interest to insist on it.

Best prevention is to avoid collecting ticks in the first place. I make every effort to stay out of woods and fields. Repellents are recommended. DEET based are used although I don't personally know how effective they are. Permethrin repellents are more effective as they are toxic to the tick but they should be in direct contact with skin. There is a vaccine for dogs but none for humans. Best practices would be to change clothing when in from the field and if practical also examine yourself for ticks. They usually make contact low on the body and work their way up to a feeding site. Sheltered area are preferred although I have had bites on my buttock, in my navel, and in the crook of my arm. An unnoticed bite can result in a bullseye rash although not always. If left untreated, other symptoms include joint pain and headaches. Our dog is on a prophylactic treatment which has so far been effective at keeping him safe. As I recall, we have only found one tick bite in two years and that one was fresh. He is apparently toxic to ticks and fleas.

.Anaplasmosis is another disease which has recently made the scene. It is carried by both the wood tick and deer tick. Our neighbor has contracted that disease, along with Lyme disease and is virtually crippled and undergoing long and expensive antibiotic treatment. Additionally, there have been a few instances of other tick borne diseases lately. I believe that Rocky Mountain Spotted fever has been found in Wisconsin as has the Heartland disease carried by the Lone Star tick.

The bottom line is that it is better to have "tooleremia" than tularemia.:chunky:

"Tooleremia" is very difficult to diagnose and treat because it can have a variety of symptoms. Also those suffering
from this malady are in total denial. The only way to accurately diagnose this disease is to do an E-Bay audit and see
what kind of items have been purchased over a period of several years. Another marker for the disease is that the
patient is a member of the "InsideTrack Club" at Harbor Freight.

Yes, Lyme disease is awful.
Mr. Sakowski nailed it.
Check yourself and your partners when exposed in the woods/grass.
I know of two people that are living with this terrible illness.
Here in Northern California it's the deer tick that we worry about. Little guys.

Oh and I have Tooleremia bad.

Back