TIG Auto Darkening Welding Helmets-Cheap or Expensive?

I have the Miller Digital Elite... auto on, auto off, full range of darkness and sensitivity settings, plus a large screen. I paid around $210 shipped, and have been very happy with it so far.
While I am happy with this helmet, after trying a few low buck units, I gotta say this- I STILL wish I could buy ANY helmet that had as good a headgear, or strap-pivot setup, as my 35 year old Jackson. The strap still adjusts as it should, the pivot will hold the helmet up until I decide to nod it down, etc, etc. The only downside, of course, is it is a fixed shade, no "cheaters" provision. The auto-darkening feature has made me accept an otherwise inferior design.

I had the hf helmet and it served it's purpose for a while. I wanted something more though but could not stomach the price of the bigger name helmets so I ended up with the Antra ah7-x90 for roughly $120. It was a night and day difference and I have been satisfied with it since.

Not sure if mentioned didn't read everything but cheap helmet usually only have 2 sensors better usually have 4 and many cheaper helmets will state not good for you under a certain amps because they won't darken. I bought a Jackson helmet with an Amber lense instead of green easier to see at low amps I also have some HF helmets biggest draw back is you can't change the batteries once they're dead they're done for my Jackson helmet is an Amber Nexgen has all shades and a setting for grinding and torch or plasma cutting

You can't beat the headgear in a Jackson helmet. If comfort matters, there is not much comparison between any Jackson helmet and a HF or other bargain helmet. I know an instructor at local community college who has a fixed shade Jackson, he has had it for years, you could not take it away from him, small lens and all its the head gear that he is fond of. ESAB has some pretty nice helmets with good head gear but like Jackson they are not cheap.

Back