TIG Auto Darkening Welding Helmets-Cheap or Expensive?

I liked the Viking,has very sensitive electronics but my favourite helmet is Speedglas 90002X, mine is 15 years old and wasn't much more expensive than Optrel or other mid priced helmet (~$400),I let other coworkers use it at work and they all commented on how they liked it but those days there weren't many choices like we have nowadays, Jackson Nexgen is also a great helmet.

Something I forgot to mention... A big problem with any welding hood is getting too much light from behind your head that causes glare on the inside lens. This will stop you cold in your tracks every time. If and when necessary, I'll drape something over the back of the hood to block any light from creating glare inside the hood.

Ray

Like Brino, I have a high end Lincon. I also have an ancient large glass conventional, and a twenty yr old HF AD. The HF served me well for yrs, and still works, but it hardly ever gets used since I got the Lincon. I like the multi level shade adjustment and the clarity. More comfortable to wear, better visor tension adjustment, cheater lens, etc.. I'm sure all the other higher end units are similar. Kind of like going back to cheap beer after you've acquired a taste for better stuff. Mike

Seems to me that the hood should become part of you so that you can concentrate on the welding or other things.
It makes sense to choose based on performance and safety, price being secondary. This is an eye care issue so also have a 'look' at the cost of fixing eye damage (when it is possible). A good hood at any price seems like the least expensive option.

Have a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric DIN 9-13. Had it for many years and was happy with it...'til the batteries would no longer charge. The fine print said that the batteries are not replaceable. :mad: These are a pair on lithiums inside the sealed lens assembly. With "careful" use of a Dremel and a saw blade I split the case. Two BR2330 lithium batteries...$7 from Amazon. Soldered small wires to battery cases and PCB. Hot melt glue back together. Off and running again. :)

Ken

I recently bought the new HFreight "Vulcan" helmet ($150) after my $39 HF mask gave up after only 15 years....well pleased with it, it's substantial, clear covers easily changed, provision for cheater (not included). There's a grinding setting and a wide adjustment range for darkness, etc. It is solar powered but has a standard, easily changed battery with a test function. All in all, happy with it so far. EDIT: didn't make it clear, the test function darkens the viewport so you can check the helmet's working. The battery has an led that comes on when the battery is getting weak.

Last edited:
I have a Lincoln Viking 3350 with 4c technology. It is an order of magnitude better than non 4c. Like watching HD TV . Clarity is 1/1/1/1 and is full color. Made a heck of an improvement in the problem of cataracts in my vision. The headgear is also very comfortable. Everyone who has tried my hood said wow it's unbelievable. About $220.00 US. Eyesight is too precious to cheap out on a hood.

Roy

I have a Lincoln Viking helmet. It is not the cheapest but I like that the din goes down to 5 so I can use it for plasma cutting as well.

Wow those new Lincolns look like a big improvement!
I want one :D

My local welding shop recommended a moderate priced one that I'm happy with from Weldcoat Metals. I think it was about $90. It has a place to insert cheaters, the clarity seems good, it has adjustable darkness, etc.. It is a little heavier than the expensive ones (3M Speedglas seems to be the best, but they're ~$300), but it's fine no more than I use it.

having used many different brands through the years i am using a weldcoat metals these days. recommended by a shop who has 8 welders all using the weldcote as a matter of choice

Back