TIG Surprise!

I'll take some pics of my equipment tonight.
Jody was using a Furick #12 ceramic . What do you think? Oh, with a gas lens

When I bought the Welder, the sales fellow said the torch is an upgrade? from stock.
This is my hardware.

IMG_0768[1].JPG

IMG_0766[1].JPG

IMG_0770[1].JPG

IMG_0769[1].JPG

WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!! Be careful welding zinc or galvanized parts if you inhale to much you can get metal fume fever the sucky part is it can take hours to show up I made that mistake long ago had to go to the hospital to get injections to relax my stomach contractions I didn't know throwing up that hard was possible I was literally holding my hands over my eyes throwing up cause I thought they were gonna pop out lol to say it sucked was an understatement

I'll take some pics of my equipment tonight.
Jody was using a Furick #12 ceramic . What do you think? Oh, with a gas lens
A gas lens distributes the gas better and more evenly so you can have a lil longer stick out if needed you usually want a short stick out buy yourself a Pyrex clear cup gas lens it helps when you're starting to be able to see through the cup

Mr. Brown, the regulator pressure increases when the valve is turned off. If I were to torn on the machine, open the valve and tap the pedal, it goes down to 20.
I know this because I noticed the same thing yesterday morning.
I said, wait a tick, that’s too high. :)
Pyrex looks like the way to go.
After watching more videos last night, I have some changes to make.
This weekend.
Jesus, Mr. Umahunter, that sounds like a terrible experience.

Not suprising at all, I do a good deal of TMAW and often end up with a large blob of material on the electrode when I get it to close to the puddle.
I am a terrible welder, but often get through the job. Most of what I do is in the food and Pharma industries.

Machine After Welding takes care of most of this, the parts look unwelded when finished, this is a laborious task with manual machines.
I shall be doing so tomorrow morning and not enjoying it one bit.

I've had the zinc blob from not removing enough of the zinc coating and getting the weld into it. I weld outside under a canopy and I have found the stubby gas lens with a 7 or 8 cup handles most of what I need even with a little breeze. With the gas lens I can run the electrode another 1/8" out which is perfect for visibility. Haven't tried a glass cup yet but I would probably break it in no time.

The Pyrex cup with the titanium protector sleeve looks like a great idea. The thought of looking through the cup would sure add to visibility. You young fellows with good eyes might not feel the need.
I sure do like the 2X magnifying insert I put into the weld helmet!!

Back