TIG torch water cooler on the cheap??

A carbonator pump pumps water into a carbonator unit that injects carbon dioxide into the water, think soft drink machine that carbonate, refrigerates, and mixes flavored syrups with the water at your favorite burger joint; the pumps are a carbon vane type pump and mount directly onto a special motor.
Have a buddy at work who made his TIG cooler using the idea. The pump/set up started out life as a drink dispenser at a bar. I'll see if he can send me some photos.

Bruce

I see the HTP Arctic Chill 5460 is $449 with free shipping. Much bigger capacity. This Old Tony received one of these from USA Weld for a present. He made some changes to make the fan quieter etc. Works great.
So, anybody tried one of these cheapos?

Jeff , you said cheap. You don't even have to worry about the coolant going bad. Any circulating pump with a reservoir will work. If you want to be fancy just add a small radiator and fan.

And do yourself a favor, add some antifreeze to the mix, even if you're not in a cold climate it keeps the bacteria down.

Jeff , you said cheap. You don't even have to worry about the coolant going bad. Any circulating pump with a reservoir will work. If you want to be fancy just add a small radiator and fan.
We had one at work that was a small coil of 3/8" copper tubing, a 1 gallon tank with a cheesy pump & a small fan (maybe $50 total), and it ran for years. No fancy controls, you turned on the disconnect for the welder and it came on. I think they had more in the fittings to hook it up than the cooler itself.

I just run water through the torch from the hose bib and move the discharge hose once in awhile to water the shrubs around the house.

This is by far the cheapest. But depending on the quality of your tap water, you might wind up with mineral deposits in your TIG torch if you use it a lot. If you have hard water you might want to avoid the "once-through" approach. Circulating systems can use distilled water to avoid the minerals.

Just a quick note about carbonator pumps: they're usually pretty high pressure / high volume and have a 1/4 or 1/3 hp motor which means a lot of wasted power; plus they're noisy.

Look into a submersible aquarium or pond pump. Cheap with adequate volume and pretty noiseless. One of these in a bucket with some hoses and fittings is probably 50 bucks or so.

YMMV

Stu

10 liters a minute seems adequate for lower amperage

Back