Tilting Table For Mini Mill

edojan

Registered
Registered
I am thinking to get a tilting table size ~ 7x5" my question is how sturdy are they for mini mill use (I have a LMS 3990 ) . There are several models available - I wonder if you can share experience with them / relative pros and cons of each model

1. Grizzly G5758

81honL-9S6L._SX425_.jpg
2. Ajax industry
480.3878.jpg
Grizzly G9302
51yG9i7jWWL.jpg

Grizzly G9301
81kB2qHguOL._SL1500_.jpg

81honL-9S6L._SX425_.jpg

480.3878.jpg

51yG9i7jWWL.jpg

81kB2qHguOL._SL1500_.jpg

81honL-9S6L._SX425_.jpg

480.3878.jpg

51yG9i7jWWL.jpg

81kB2qHguOL._SL1500_.jpg

81honL-9S6L._SX425_.jpg

480.3878.jpg

51yG9i7jWWL.jpg

81kB2qHguOL._SL1500_.jpg

81honL-9S6L._SX425_.jpg

480.3878.jpg

51yG9i7jWWL.jpg

81kB2qHguOL._SL1500_.jpg

81honL-9S6L._SX425_.jpg

480.3878.jpg

51yG9i7jWWL.jpg

81kB2qHguOL._SL1500_.jpg

I hae one similar to the top one. Honestly haven't used it yet, but my thought is that it is as stable as your mill table will be.

Two things to think about:

-The top one on the list, The big one, will be quite large on the mini-mill table.
-that one also may not reach 90° to the spindle. I'm pretty sure it does not. But make sure check for yourself before you buy it.
-The smaller ones will reach 90° or more, and will probably withstand the force is your minimill is capable of cutting.

I do not have a mini mill but I had a Sherline.

Bernie

Think about what kinds of work you plan to use them for and how it will be set up. Those fixtures take up a lot of headroom between the table and the spindle, room which is also taken up with whatever is going to be doing the cutting. It is very easy to run out of work space headroom on a mini mill.

Think about what kinds of work you plan to use them for and how it will be set up. Those fixtures take up a lot of headroom between the table and the spindle, room which is also taken up with whatever is going to be doing the cutting. It is very easy to run out of work space headroom on a mini mill.

Yes, this is a good point. The fixture on top is actually the lowest among those listed (its height is 3.5") - that is about the same as my 3" vice. I am also thinking about the column riser that LMS sells for 3990 fixed column models - it increases the total headroom by 2" here is the pic 480.5127.jpg

480.5127.jpg

480.5127.jpg

480.5127.jpg

480.5127.jpg

480.5127.jpg

Hi Edojan, you could probable make the riser it looks pretty straight forward,save your self some money always a good thing. Rick

edojan, that`s likely the best bet, as I will assume it is cast iron (making scraping into parallelism easier, vibration absorption,stable), by the pictures.

When I made mine for the 39xx series, I went through a few posts for ideas and information, and wound up using C1018 (cold rolled). The material came from Metal Supermarkets. Here is the example I ultimately followed: Mini-Mill Extended Column (shimmed parallel).

I will have to check my notes, but the LMS block might work out cheaper. Currently, LMS wants $87.96 USD for the block and UPS shipping to a Canadian residential address; with longer bolts purchased and pre-drilled holes, you might come out ahead.

Edit: in 2013, I spent $87.89 CDN in material, bolts (already had the tooling to make the holes, chamfers, 0.001 shim material). I cut the four sides (I had ordered it slightly oversize), drilled the holes.

One fellow has made a 4 inch deep variant, claims it works ok. Here is some additional reading, should you be interested:

Hobby Machinist - Adding a Column Riser
Hobby Machinist - Risers for Mini-Mill - What Metal
Home Shop Machinist - Riser Block(1) (the aforementioned 4 inch variant)
Riser Block(2) (same thread)
It does not add much, more of just an example, but here is an example of a fellow making one on YouTube (he swears at one point, so make certain any impressionable children are out of hearing range) YouTube 1 Inch Riser Block.

Last edited:
I have one that looks like the Ajax industry one (number 2) its 18cm x 13cm table size.

I use it on an RF25 type bench mill.

I took the handle and worm off as I couldn't clamp it or use it with it in place.

It's very rigid or at least it hasn't seemed fleyx when I've used it. It's quite heavy which is nice.

I had to make some toe clamps to use with it as all my clamps were too big and got in the way when milling. Also Tee nuts.

The angle locking nuts are a pain to get at.

the size of the table can make it hard to get things clamped down and still have room for the work piece.

Don't use it a hell of a lot but when I do it's always very useful.

Stuart

I will have to check my notes, but the LMS block might work out cheaper. Currently, LMS wants $87.96 USD for the block and UPS shipping to a Canadan residential address; with longer bolts purchased and pre-drilled holes, you might come out ahead.

Edit: in 2013, I spent $87.89 CDN in material, bolts (already had the tooling to make the holes, chamfers, 0.001 shim material). I cut the four sides (I had ordered it slightly oversize), drilled the holes.

One fellow has made a 4 inch deep variant, claims it works ok. Here is some additional reading, should you be interested:

Hobby Machinist - Adding a Column Riser
Hobby Machinist - Risers for Mini-Mill - What Metal
Home Shop Machinist - Riser Block(1) (the aforementioned 4 inch variant)
Riser Block(2) (same thread)
It does not add much, more of just an example, but here is an example of a fellow making one on YouTube (he swears at one point, so make certain any impressionable children are out of hearing range) YouTube 1 Inch Riser Block.

Great info - thanks. Buying this from LMS might be cheaper indeed especially that I don't have a suitable piece of cast iron laying around...
Btw, when purchasing from US based suppliers I have the items shipped to CBU warehouse in Niagara Falls (only $6 as the warehouse fee in addition to US shipping )

I have one that looks like the Ajax industry one (number 2) its 18cm x 13cm table size.

I took the handle and worm off as I couldn't clamp it or use it with it in place.

Stuart
From the pics I actually suspected that the handle / worm maybe causing clamping issues. Thanks !

Back