Time for a Dro, need some help

sasanifab

Registered
Registered
So it’s time for me to get a Dro, there are so so many options available. My lathe is a supermax 1338, I measure the travel and it looks like 7.5x 40 give or take. Are there any vendors here who sell dros?

I'll be watching this with keen interest as I too have decided to put one on my slightly larger 17" lathe.
Aaron

I bought mine from AliExpress because the cost was so much better. I have been completely satisfied with the purchase.

There was a thread this week which discussed it in more detail.

I can't recommend the less-expensive igaging DROs. Depending on your machine, you could find yourself chasing down electrical noise until the cows come home. I managed to get my noise problem under control but it took a lot of screwing around to do it.

If you just want to install DROs and get down to making stuff ASAP, get something that is designed for "real" machining..

You’ll see my plug for the AliExpress DRO in the other thread.
Works great and the LCD display makes it dead easy to use the functions such a bolt circles etc.

Search E-Bay. A ton of sellers selling them. I bought inexpensive 2 axis ones for my 13x40 lathe and 9x42 mill. I have had them for several years now and no issues. You will have to fabricate your own mounting brackets but that is no big deal.

What is your price range, do you want magnetic or glass scales, do you want a graphical display? There are numerous threads on DRO recommendations, usually it comes down to how much wants to spend and if you want a manual in English. With regard to the least expensive DRO's there is always AliExpress, but there are similar models through US distribution on eBay. AliExpress if you have a problem, it may take a long time to get an answer or resolved, so to me it is more like flipping a coin.

If looking for magnetic scales then a number of forum member's have purchased from this UK vendor. In either case you need to specify the length, resolution and type of scale if glass. Long axis is 5um resolution, cross slide is 1uM resolution, if glass scales you want to specify a slim line type for the cross slide.

I installed the DRO Pro EL400 on my lathe last year, which is about the same size as yours. This is a "machine specific" system. The install was fairly easy and straight forward. The only slight hurdle was cable management. You just have to be a little creative. I haven't had a single issue with it so far, so I'm a happy camper.
Their website site has several video's on installation and cutting the scales (they're magnetic). Customer service seems to be above average.

I purchased a Sino 2 axis from Accusize in Toronto for my lathe ( 12x36 ).and a Fagor which came with my mill, both are working fine

Back