[4]

Time spent on your hobbies?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

kranker1450

Registered
Good afternoon all,

I was just curious as to how much time you spend on the average in a week on your machining hobby or other hobbies total? For those of us who it is a hobby. I don't get to spend very much and I think the time I would want to spend would be considered to much by my spouse. Just wandering what the rest are doing.

Thanks for your time

Tom

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Show her the answers to this post, then see what she has to say....

alloy

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
My hobby has become a business. But it's still my hobby.

With everything involved I spend at least 20 hours a week, sometime 30 plus hours. This is after a regular job and driving 108 miles a day to work and back 4 days per week. I guess sometimes you can be too successful. I guess I'm lucky, my hobby more than supports itself and then some.

I've become a slave to my "hobby". I can't complain, I'm the one that started this :cool:

macardoso

Brass
Registered
I work full time, so does my SO. We split the chores and have a unspoken agreement that we each get a little time to ourselves so long as we also are spending time together. Depending how late she works I get an hour or two a night in the shop maybe 3 days a week, then if we are home usually a half day on the weekend.

So total maybe 6-12 hours a week. There have been times where it is more and times when there hasn't been time at all. I try to be respectful of her thoughts about it since she is incredibly supportive of the time that I want to take.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
Since retiring, all I do is my hobbies of maching, gunsmithing, shooting, and whatever else comes to mind.

Well except for during the monsoon season when I have to cut the grass/weeds in the back yard. :D

jwmay

Registered
I try my best to get an hour per day, and 2-8 hours on the weekend. It all depends on what the family has planned.

markba633csi

Platinum
Registered
Currently in an espresso phase, but I still make machine parts regularly for various projects, I have about 3 going on now
including getting some seedling plants in the ground
Machining specifically: couple hours a week at the moment

Last edited:

jbobb1

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Being self employed, it really depends on my work load. I try to get an hour or two a day, but that's hit or miss. I'm currently working on a tool project that I should/could have had done a few weeks ago!

John TV

I'm quite new to the hobby but I'm coming to it later in life so not quite so many family duties. I still work but my wife is retired so that too changes the family dynamic a bit. She has been very supportive and really sees how it is a type of therapy for me. That said I try to spend 6 to 8 hours on one of the weekend days usually works out about 3 out of 4 weeks. Still wish I could do more but I just don't seem to have the energy after work. Hoping life lets me retire and then hope to spend a little time each day making chips and learning. John. Minnesota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FOMOGO

Active User
Not nearly as much as I would like. Maybe 4-8 hrs a week, and that is generally connected to some chore that needs to be done. Hoping to up that significantly in the next year or two. Mike

rwm

Active User
I have started telling people that metal working is my profession and my "job" is my hobby. That really confuses them.
I guess if you include internet time and planning time I spend about 4 hours a day on metal working. Then I have to find time for kayaking, skiing, and drinking craft beer.
Robert

savarin

Active User
My wife and I are both retired so I thought I would have plenty of time.
No such luck.
If I'm lucky I average about 3 hours 4 times a week.

JohnG

Active User
Registered
I'm retired. I spend 2-5 hours every day in my hobby workshop. I feel like I'm staying on top of my game with that amount of time. I also don't have the stamina I used to have, so more time would be counterproductive--I'd just do something wrong. This is the most time I can spend each day doing the best "work" I possibly can.

mmcmdl

Staff member
Whatever time is not spent at work or sleeping , I'm doing one of my hobbies . The dismantling of my shop , 2 houses , 3 kids , 3 Shelties , college basketball team , cutting grass , maintaining all cars and trucks , tractors , 4 wheelers , 45 acres up in the Adirondacks etc . I still enjoy them all but sometimes the mind says go , the body says whoa . :) I'm hitting the big six o this Monday , I wish I had more time for my favorite hobby which is being up in NY in the mountains and enjoying the woods ! :encourage: Hopefully , one day soon .

alloy

I still enjoy them all but sometimes the mind says go , the body says whoa .
I resemble that comment :(

I'm 61 now and today I was in my shop and after about 7 hours got tired and had to take a break. Sat down and closed my eyes for a few and was going give it up and go into the house, but pushed through it and got all my customer work done. Now tomorrow it's time to play with my CNC mill and not worry if I'm going to get my customer stuff shipped on Monday since it's all done.

Last edited:

jdedmon91

Brass
Registered
I put together my small shop as my retirement hobby. Been retired over a year now, it depends on what my week looks like, most I spend 4 hours in the shop at least 3 days a week. However it can vary according to life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firstgear

I have been retired for a while now (retired at 59 after 34 years at the same company). My wife just retired at 57. Her thing is travel and photography. Mine is photography, our cars and now machining. I actually bought the mill and lathe first because I always wanted to do machining (degreed mechanical engineer) and second because I am building a custom 63 Corvette Split Window Coupe Restomod and want a number of custom parts and the machines will help facilitate that. I havent had the motor built yet, its a LS7 and will have Mast do the work. I spend about 6 to 8 hours everyday on one of them. Right now I am spending a bunch of time on the machines making things for the various tooling that I have bought. I blew up the garage getting ready for the machines and now slowly but surely it's getting put back together.

Z2V

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
A Mast built LS7 will be a blast in a 63 Vette with out a doubt. Major overkill but what the heck, go for it!

Firstgear

A Mast built LS7 will be a blast in a 63 Vette with out a doubt. Major overkill but what the heck, go for it!
With a Kinsler cross ram injection unit sitting on top. Car has a SRIII Motorsports chassis with C5 front and C4 rear suspension coupled to a T56 6 speed transmission. You can never have too much horsepower or torque!

Reactions: Z2V

uncle harry

Active User
Registered
I'm retired and am staying about 20 miles from my shops (on my property) so my "rent-a-grunt" (& very good friend) and I spend an average of 4 hours a week "organizing" stuff & making chips. I spend a serious amount of time arm chair machining when I watch my many U Tube heroes and accessing this forum for continued education efforts. The rest of the time I'm seasonally maintaining nearly 4 acres of grass and other property up keep. Then there's always enjoying various craft beers in the famous city of Milwaukee!

hman

Active User
My normal shop time is midnight to 4AM. Usual sleep hours are 4AM to noon. Between breakfast and dinner, I'm either out running errands or doing house stuff. After dinner it's relaxing, reading, etc. Did I mention I'm retired?

rwm

Active User
My normal shop time is midnight to 4AM. Usual sleep hours are 4AM to noon. Between breakfast and dinner, I'm either out running errands or doing house stuff. After dinner it's relaxing, reading, etc. Did I mention I'm retired?
Those sound like my college days!
Robert

Cr23484

Registered
I retired 1 1/2 years ago. My wife retired 1 Year ago.
I am 63 and spend an hour or two each night between 11-1 am or 11-12 midnight.
My shop is in the basement for all woodworking and metalworking, except for welding and forging, which is in our shed.
I have a lot of interests, so I do have many hobbies.
C

Littlebriar

I'm 69, retired and a widower. I have nothing but time and everyday is Saturday, except Sunday. My friends like to say I have no adult supervision. :)
My problem is I have many hobbies that compete for my time. Metal fab, woodworking, home renovation, fishing, and motorcycling.
Usually, my metal fab time is spent making things for my other hobbies which turns out to be a couple hours a week on average. Like others, my stamina and time utilization isn't what it used to be so I'm not nearly as productive as when I worked for a living. Fortunately I've got lots of time.
So to answer the original question, I spent all my time on my hobbies except time spent with family and friends and chores. I thank God every day for my health and my good fortune.

tjb

Terry
Just turned the big SEVEN - o yesterday. Since retiring about ten years ago, I often ask myself, how in the world I ever found time to work. My bride of 47 years and I have five children, thirteen grandchildren, live on a farm and each have several hobbies. I took up machining fairly recently (and love it). Some weeks, I'm able to spend 15 or 20 hours in the shop; others: zero. Depends on what's going on with family, farm and other commitments. Even now, there are a couple of projects that have been on hold for weeks because of other priorities. Farming, cattle and some other activities don't 'get in line' regardless of how much you'd prefer to be doing something else - especially when bad weather narrows the window even further. It's all fun, though.

Regards,
Terry

Buffalo21

Between “my” time and the time spend for the employer, making items for work, I’m somewhere between 30-40 hrs a week. The good part is the company usually “provides” most of the materials and consumable for my projects also,

[5] [7]