Time spent on your hobbies?

kranker1450

Registered
Registered
Good afternoon all,

I was just curious as to how much time you spend on the average in a week on your machining hobby or other hobbies total? For those of us who it is a hobby. I don't get to spend very much and I think the time I would want to spend would be considered to much by my spouse. Just wandering what the rest are doing.

Thanks for your time

Tom

Show her the answers to this post, then see what she has to say....

My hobby has become a business. But it's still my hobby.

With everything involved I spend at least 20 hours a week, sometime 30 plus hours. This is after a regular job and driving 108 miles a day to work and back 4 days per week. I guess sometimes you can be too successful. I guess I'm lucky, my hobby more than supports itself and then some.

I've become a slave to my "hobby". I can't complain, I'm the one that started this :cool:

I work full time, so does my SO. We split the chores and have a unspoken agreement that we each get a little time to ourselves so long as we also are spending time together. Depending how late she works I get an hour or two a night in the shop maybe 3 days a week, then if we are home usually a half day on the weekend.

So total maybe 6-12 hours a week. There have been times where it is more and times when there hasn't been time at all. I try to be respectful of her thoughts about it since she is incredibly supportive of the time that I want to take.

Since retiring, all I do is my hobbies of maching, gunsmithing, shooting, and whatever else comes to mind.

Well except for during the monsoon season when I have to cut the grass/weeds in the back yard. :D

I try my best to get an hour per day, and 2-8 hours on the weekend. It all depends on what the family has planned.

Currently in an espresso phase, but I still make machine parts regularly for various projects, I have about 3 going on now
including getting some seedling plants in the ground
Machining specifically: couple hours a week at the moment

Last edited:
Being self employed, it really depends on my work load. I try to get an hour or two a day, but that's hit or miss. I'm currently working on a tool project that I should/could have had done a few weeks ago!

Back