Time spent on your hobbies?

I'm quite new to the hobby but I'm coming to it later in life so not quite so many family duties. I still work but my wife is retired so that too changes the family dynamic a bit. She has been very supportive and really sees how it is a type of therapy for me. That said I try to spend 6 to 8 hours on one of the weekend days usually works out about 3 out of 4 weeks. Still wish I could do more but I just don't seem to have the energy after work. Hoping life lets me retire and then hope to spend a little time each day making chips and learning. John. Minnesota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not nearly as much as I would like. Maybe 4-8 hrs a week, and that is generally connected to some chore that needs to be done. Hoping to up that significantly in the next year or two. Mike

I have started telling people that metal working is my profession and my "job" is my hobby. That really confuses them.
I guess if you include internet time and planning time I spend about 4 hours a day on metal working. Then I have to find time for kayaking, skiing, and drinking craft beer.
Robert

My wife and I are both retired so I thought I would have plenty of time.
No such luck.
If I'm lucky I average about 3 hours 4 times a week.

I'm retired. I spend 2-5 hours every day in my hobby workshop. I feel like I'm staying on top of my game with that amount of time. I also don't have the stamina I used to have, so more time would be counterproductive--I'd just do something wrong. This is the most time I can spend each day doing the best "work" I possibly can.

Whatever time is not spent at work or sleeping , I'm doing one of my hobbies . The dismantling of my shop , 2 houses , 3 kids , 3 Shelties , college basketball team , cutting grass , maintaining all cars and trucks , tractors , 4 wheelers , 45 acres up in the Adirondacks etc . I still enjoy them all but sometimes the mind says go , the body says whoa . :) I'm hitting the big six o this Monday , I wish I had more time for my favorite hobby which is being up in NY in the mountains and enjoying the woods ! :encourage: Hopefully , one day soon .

I still enjoy them all but sometimes the mind says go , the body says whoa .

I resemble that comment :(

I'm 61 now and today I was in my shop and after about 7 hours got tired and had to take a break. Sat down and closed my eyes for a few and was going give it up and go into the house, but pushed through it and got all my customer work done. Now tomorrow it's time to play with my CNC mill and not worry if I'm going to get my customer stuff shipped on Monday since it's all done.

Last edited:
I put together my small shop as my retirement hobby. Been retired over a year now, it depends on what my week looks like, most I spend 4 hours in the shop at least 3 days a week. However it can vary according to life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been retired for a while now (retired at 59 after 34 years at the same company). My wife just retired at 57. Her thing is travel and photography. Mine is photography, our cars and now machining. I actually bought the mill and lathe first because I always wanted to do machining (degreed mechanical engineer) and second because I am building a custom 63 Corvette Split Window Coupe Restomod and want a number of custom parts and the machines will help facilitate that. I havent had the motor built yet, its a LS7 and will have Mast do the work. I spend about 6 to 8 hours everyday on one of them. Right now I am spending a bunch of time on the machines making things for the various tooling that I have bought. I blew up the garage getting ready for the machines and now slowly but surely it's getting put back together.

Back