Time to upgrade my welding helmet?

I must admit I cannot bag on YesWelder. They are in the sweet spot of price versus performance. I got involved with the Kickstarter Program on the MP200 5 process welder. It does Gas MIG, Flux-Core wire, Stick, TIG and Plasma Cutting. Here is a picture of my stepson plasma cutting a 4 foot by 8 foot sheet in half with the MP200.

09 Jan 2022 Plasma cutting 22 amp 35 PSI point24MPa.jpg

I figured out what a cheater magnifier is... I will make sure what ever helmet I get can take a standard magnifier. (A cheater is a pair of magnifying lenses, two lenses formed together, available in different magnifications that snap into the inside of the helmet... in case someone else doesn't know)

The Lincoln 3350 seems like a pretty solid mask against which other masks are judged. $250-$400 is a bit out of my price range.

The YesWeld masks seem to be getting really good reviews. This one is the one I am currently thinking of buying: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...title_srh_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1PRJVQ6PVSF2D
It is rated 1/1/1/1 with a large viewing window, will take standard cheater lenses and has external controls which I kind of like.

I have come across some "panoramic" helmets with two extra windows on the sides to allow for better prereferral viewing. I am thinking this might be really helpful in case I get into a ninja fight in the middle of a welding shop. Seriously, I don't understand a use for the side windows in a hobby shop.
I was looking at that one, but the reviews scared the heck out of me...

I was looking at that one, but the reviews scared the heck out of me...

The first few reviews on Amazon are pretty scary but I weighted them pretty low after reading through them. I read a lot of substantive good reviews on Amazon that seemed a bit more knowledgeable than the few bad reviews. I also watched several you tube vids on the YesWeld masks and a couple on that exact model. I like what I saw. It appears to be a pretty recent model so I couldn't find much doing a forum search.

I am still open to a better recommendation but the YesWeld EH-091 helmets seem to have a lot going for them at a very reasonable price. A Lincoln 3350 seems like a great mask for the price if I were welding all day every day... but I am not.

P.S. I am REALLY starting to DISPISE all of the stupid fake review sites that put up completely uninformed reviews to collect click through money.

Last edited:
I have a HF auto also. First, did you clean both lenses, inside and out? The outside lens is replaceable if it's hazed over.
Inside not.

My hood has a single knob for adjusting the timing or darkness, Originally they had 2 adjustments, one for speed, and one for darkness. Have you played with those? I would wear clear glasses underneath, no telling what your self darkening glasses are doing with the auto adjust. I wear reading glasses under the hood, as I need to see it better as well. I don't have a fog issue in cooler weather, I have a sweat issue in the summer.

Of course if you want a new hood, some of the new wide vision are super nice, but also SUPER expensive.

LOL!!!! Yes! I made that mistake of not cleaning off all the shop grunge from the lenses before. About half way through the project it dawned on me that the lenses were incredibly dirty... now I check and clean them first. I actually have two of the single knob HF masks for when a buddy is working with me or I am trying to show someone how to weld. I tried them both.

I am looking at $90 to buy what should be a much nicer mask with much better clarity. That seems reasonable to me. The YesWeld "panoramic" mask looks interesting but I don't see much need for peripheral vision while welding in a one man home hobby shop. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._title_srh_2?ie=UTF8&smid=A1PRJVQ6PVSF2D&th=1
-$112 right now with the Amazon coupon on the product page. I thought of spending the extra $23 but the extra weight of the mask seems like it would be more annoying than any use I would every get out of the side windows.

Last edited:
I am considering this https://www.amazon.com/Brightness-Waterproof-Daylight-Worklights-Construction/dp/B08HZ8P8WJ/ref=sr_1_37?crid=2CDVCHLCZ4OUZ&keywords=work+light+10000+lumens&qid=1642541048&sprefix=work+light+10000,aps,164&sr=8-37&th=1 LED work light. I like the 16 foot cord. I have several high end tripods so I don't want to pay for a light with a cheap flimsy tripod. I also am not looking for a battery powered light, I prefer plug in. Something that will replace the halogen work light that goes through bulbs like crazy.

I am kind of wondering if a 50W led light might last longer due to less heat though.

I got the Miller Digital Infinity helmet to replace my old HF auto. What a massive difference. the clear is just a slight tint and with the massive lens I can actually see what I am doing. It also can sense the arc somehow so that even if the sensor is shaded it will stay dark yet it does not false darken from bright light like sunlight. No it is not cheap momoney but I got mine for such a deal. I wont mention the deal to avoid the "YOU SUCK" posts :rolleyes: :laughing:.

Now that I have good I don't think I can ever go back to cheap.

Years ago when I welded at Deere and Co. every welder there used a 3M speedglas like this. They were comfortable, good vision, easy to change lenses, and adjustable for sensitivity if you were buffing or wire brushing.
Cheers
Martin
1642592400788.png

Years ago when I welded at Deere and Co. every welder there used a 3M speedglas like this. They were comfortable, good vision, easy to change lenses, and adjustable for sensitivity if you were buffing or wire brushing.
Cheers
Martin
View attachment 392840

I have several autodarkening hoods, including a Miller with the fancy flames and a really old 3m speedglass.

The 3M Speedglass is my go-to, every time. It has worked flawlessly since 2005, when my wife picked it up for me used for 20$ at a yard sale in Tucson, AZ.

I decided to order the YesWelder EH-091XL 1/1/1/1 helmet from Amazon for $90 and a +2.0 cheater lens. For the small amount of welding I do a multi-hundred dollar helmet doesn't make sense for me.

I really appreciate all the responses! I learned a lot! I will post my impressions here when it comes in and I have had a chance to use it a bit.

Back