Time to upgrade my welding helmet?

I have used the HF Vulcan Arcsafe helmet for a more than a year. It was a huge step up in clarity from the cheap helmets I had used before. I have changed the battery one time and am still happy with it. I am an occasional hobby welder and can't see spending $$ for the professional helmets.

I once thought that my cheapie auto darkening helmet was defective until I finally discovered that my auto darkening glasses were also kicking in. The result was barely visible welding image.

Once my defective brain realized the problem I now weld sans the glasses.

Looks like you ordered the best one. Hope it works good.

Last edited:
The Yeswelder EH-091XL helmet came in last week. I also ordered a Yeswelder CUT-65DS plasma cutter that came in last week (the cutter is reviewed in another thread).

I had some time to work in the shop today and I can't express how pleased I am with this new helmet! My MIG welding went from miserable with my old HF helmet to between good and great with this new helmet. Even with being a little rusty with using the MIG I am happy that I am no longer putting down welds that I am ashamed of and don't want anyone to see. I was even able to clean up a couple of the welds that I botched while using the HF helmet which started me on this journey.

The head gear isn't perfect but after a little adjustment it got to a comfortable level. I am a little worried about the cinch knob on the back of the head gear, it has been reported as a week point in a couple other reviews. I didn't have any problems with it but it did not feel as firm or like I could get it as tight as my cheap old HF helmet. I didn't have any problems with the knob I was just careful with it due to the reviews I read.

The picture I get of the weld puddle is night to day better than the 25+ yo HF helmet. I have never used a really high end helmet so I don't have anything to compare it to other than the HF helmet BUT I am very please with it!

The 2x cheater lens worked out pretty good at first but I ended up taking it out and finished welding without it. The lens registers kind of high in the window so I have to wear the helmet close to my chin to see through the cheater. This was ok until the cheater lens started fogging between the lens and the window. I took the lens out and finished welding without it and had no more fogging issues. I specifically had kept the helmet inside so it would be warm when I used it to minimize fogging. I am sure the cheater will work fine in warm weather but I prefer welding as a cold weather sport!

I would have no problem recommending this Yeswelder EH-091XL helmet to other amateur welders like myself.

Last edited:
The light would likely help out a ton. I found that putting my M18 spotlight made things way nicer.

As for masks, the YesWelder ones all seem really nice, starting at about $90. Chinese manufactured, but sadly most are these days. I've also played with/been tempted by the Harbor Freight Vulcan masks, they are about $160.

Eric, your post started me looking at the Yeswelder helmets. I am VERY happy with my Yeswelder $90 helmet. I am happy I didn't spend $160 on the HF mask. I am sure the HF mask is good but I kind of doubt it is that much better than my Yeswelder EH-091XL 1/1/1/1 helmet.

Thank you!

The 2x cheater lens worked out pretty good at first but I ended up taking it out and finished welding without it. The lens registers kind of high in the window so I have to wear the helmet close to my chin to see through the cheater. This was ok until the cheater lens started fogging between the lens and the window. I took the lens out and finished welding without it and had no more fogging issues. I specifically had kept the helmet inside so it would be warm when I used it to minimize fogging. I am sure the cheater will work fine in warm weather but I prefer welding as a cold weather sport!

I just wear cheater safety glasses under the helmet. That has worked just fine and I've still got safety glasses on when I take off the helmet to grind or what ever.

I just wear cheater safety glasses under the helmet. That has worked just fine and I've still got safety glasses on when I take off the helmet to grind or what ever.

Cheater safety glasses? I need to google that and see what that is... I got the helmet but still in the box. I also got some safety glasses with 1.5x bifocal...

EDIT: Ohhhh cheater glass is an actual piece you install in the welding helmet...

Cheater safety glasses? I need to google that and see what that is... I got the helmet but still in the box. I also got some safety glasses with 1.5x bifocal...

EDIT: Ohhhh cheater glass is an actual piece you install in the welding helmet...
cheater glass is reading glasses.
it sounds like they have an add on for that on the welding helmet.
I would just go with reading glasses, you can easily change them, I use them under the hood... Now if I could only control my hand.

They are just safety glasses with reading glass type lenses instead of plain. Lots of options, these are pretty cheap

+2 safety glasses

I also went ahead and ordered one. It is one day shipped and I just opened it. There is a battery, which I don't know if it is a spare or I need to install. I didn't check yet. The helmet definitely needs some heat to bend it since it appears they intentionally bend them for fitting the box.

It is on sale, $76.5 right now.

Back