• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

'tiny' A Vertical, Water Cooled Hit And Miss Engine

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

gbritnell

Active User
Gentlmen,
It's been a good long while since I posted anything. I have been busy but with summer events taking place I didn't spend much time in the shop.
I haven't had much luck getting the flathead engine running so to clear my head I started a quick easy project to get my mind off of it.
The origin of this engine was something that a fellow on one of the other forums created. He posted the drawing set and when I saw it I built one.
Earlier in the year I modified the original drawings and created another version of that engine, that one is a horizontal air cooled type.
So here I am with the third variant of the original. This time I built a vertical, water cooled engine, although I doubt it will need cooling. As with the original this one has a bore and stroke of .375 x .50 inches. It has a spark ignition triggered by a Hall transistor and operates as a true hit and miss engine.
The bore was lapped to a nice finish and then the piston was lapped to the bore giving about a tenth or two clearance. I use a 50:1 gas oil mixture to prevent the piston from sticking.
gbritnell

jpfabricator

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Looks cool!

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

john.oliver35

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Beautiful work - I aspire to be able to create something like this!

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Nice workmanship!!! AND it runs so well too!

kvt

Active User
Nice One day maybe I can build something like that

Sandia

Active User
Nice engine, sounds good too.

MrFixIt

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Very nice work!!