'tiny' A Vertical, Water Cooled Hit And Miss Engine

gbritnell

Active User
Registered
Gentlmen,
It's been a good long while since I posted anything. I have been busy but with summer events taking place I didn't spend much time in the shop.
I haven't had much luck getting the flathead engine running so to clear my head I started a quick easy project to get my mind off of it.
The origin of this engine was something that a fellow on one of the other forums created. He posted the drawing set and when I saw it I built one.
Earlier in the year I modified the original drawings and created another version of that engine, that one is a horizontal air cooled type.
So here I am with the third variant of the original. This time I built a vertical, water cooled engine, although I doubt it will need cooling. As with the original this one has a bore and stroke of .375 x .50 inches. It has a spark ignition triggered by a Hall transistor and operates as a true hit and miss engine.
The bore was lapped to a nice finish and then the piston was lapped to the bore giving about a tenth or two clearance. I use a 50:1 gas oil mixture to prevent the piston from sticking.
gbritnell

Beautiful work - I aspire to be able to create something like this!

Nice One day maybe I can build something like that

Back