Tiny Basement Shop Progress

Tell them if they don't move it your going to hook it up to your lathe for power !! That should bring them down at least for a look. ;)

Con Ed is refusing to move it.

They want me to hire a plumber and do it. That will cost a lot.
I will have to just work around it, and hopefully no leaks happen if I lean into it.
Then Con Ed would be forced to do something. :laughing:

I desperately want to get my clock shop and machine shop areas going.
In July, I will be 60. It's about time I did, while I still can work with this stuff.

In July, I will be 60. It's about time I did, while I still can work with this stuff.

Are you thinking about making clocks or repairing them? If you're thinking of making them, what kind do you have in mind? Have you picked-out any plans yet?

If you have a goal in mind then, you can start setting-up the shop specifically to achieve that goal.

Ray

You should be able to move that meter yourself and have a gas fitter "inspect" it for you.

There is a special pipe dope (or teflon tape) you can buy that is rated for use with Natural Gas.

I do all my own black pipe work for air and gas and if the job is permitted or needs an inspection, I have a gas fitter friend drop by to sign it off.

It's very easy to do and quite fun.

David.

Not to worry Nel's, in June i'll be 79 and other than a messed up back and a rebuilt heart i still work in my shop. yahoo.gif

Just a thought, even if Con ed dosn't want to move it you could consider it a safety hazard. There must be some Government agency that could help you ? Maybe Osha ?

Last edited:
When I have the money (this won't be cheap), and am just going to have a licensed plumber do it.
Apparently, there is an inspection, and engineer required in the City of NY (sucks, doesn't it?), so I have to go that route.
I put in the piping for our gas dryer. The fools that owned the house before me were using a rubber hose that was connected with a clamp, and no valve. But this is more extensive, and requires filings by a licensed plumber.

Wow that's scary, a licensed plumber AND an Engineer ?? Good grief !!!

Wow that's scary, a licensed plumber AND an Engineer ?? Good grief !!!
Yup, NYC bureaucracy is a living nightmare... I'm a contractor and moved several gas meters in my time, The most important thing is passing the pressure test, I'd advise the plumber run this test before he does any work, that way you'll know if you have a leak in the existing system if so, and you cannot find it, you can back out of the project (of course only if its an extremely slow leak). Once you do the work the system must have absolutely no leaks or they won't turn your gas back on. I have seen cases of buildings going without gas for months till they found the leak, usually involving ripping open walls and replacing the most of if not the entire system...

Cozy little shop you have there. I always wanted a basement, but they don't build many out here in the west. I converted my garage, as many have, but I'm still running out of space. Material storage is always an issue for me, and for you too I would imagine.

Back