Tiny drill bit extraction

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
Hi All
I have a broken #33 tap drill bit that I need toe tract in the mild steel block or I’ll have to waste the block. I’ve watched a ton of vids on this but none are focused on bits this small and in steel. Any ideas on how I can extract it without messing up the hole or the surface? (There’s also a broken center drill tip in another hole.)

Attachments

• C43AE30F-45D4-45E0-8E81-7C0C114ABC3F.jpeg
    C43AE30F-45D4-45E0-8E81-7C0C114ABC3F.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 72

That block don't look like a raver to me. No matter how loud you blast Electronic Dance Music I don't think it'll shake them broken bits out. :big grin:

But seriously, I wouldn't even know where to go locally to look for EDM work & sounds expensive. :)

Drill from the backside and punch it out? Fill the hole with a plug later if it's supposed to be blind. Depends what the block is for whether that's an option, I suppose.

The block does not look that thick, Carefully drill a slightly smaller hole from the other side. Use cutting oil and a sharp drill. By going slow you will feel it touch the tip of the broken drill, Then you can use a punch to knock it out. The punch will push thru the 2 drill points worth of metal that is left. Same for the one with the center drill tip.
Use oil when drilling, it really does help.

DOH, I type to slow.

The finished holes on the left, (still need to be tapped), are thru holes. I wondered about coming from behind. I guess I'll try that as it sounds like you guys have experienced doing this.

Is that 48, #6-40 holes??
You got my curiosity up. Whatca makin?

Been there! Short of EDM it's one of the few options. I'm not sure I'd want to try a carbide bit that small!

Back