Now is a good time to review small drill technique:
a) don't feed too fast
b) use cutting fluid
c) pull out often and clear chips
d) use correct speed
e) use good quality drills- maybe cobalt
Most of these apply to tapping also
-Mark
Sometimes, it's best not to use cutting fluid (drilling deep tiny holes in gummy aluminum)
The mud-like mixture of chips and fluid often causes drills to seize and snap

Last edited:
Another sneaky trick for 1/4" ish stuff is to cut it in half with a dental drill. Its saved me on taos before ;-)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Now is a good time to review small drill technique:
a) don't feed too fast
b) use cutting fluid
c) pull out often and clear chips
d) use correct speed
e) use good quality drills- maybe cobalt
Most of these apply to tapping also
-Mark
Sometimes, it's best not to use cutting fluid (drilling deep tiny holes in gummy aluminum)
The mud-like mixture of chips and fluid often causes drills to seize and snap
I don't have cutting fluid. I just use Mobile synthetic 5w-30 motor oil. Everything else on your list I do. Guess it was just one of those things.

Not an "expert", but motor oil doesn't seem to be a good cutting fluid, even for drilling. Might I suggest kerosene or even WD-40 as "convenience store" alternatives. It isn't the best, this isn't aluminium, but it has to be better than motor oil, even the thin stuff. I often run into a similar problem with ZAMAK and smaller drills, around Nr 70s. ZAMAK is mostly aluminium and is very "sticky", far worse than basic aluminium. I use Tap Magic for Alum as a cutting fluid. There may well be better alternatives, there are many possibilities. But I have "brand loyalty(?)" and a huge supply. Worse yet, they are blind holes, I can't drill the reverse. I just set the casting aside and start over.

I've had pretty good luck with using motor oil, it's certainly better than nothing. Stinky, when it smokes
Reminds me of home, and that wrecking yard we lived in. Mom made the best oily pancakes... :)
-M

Atf works well and is cheap at yard sales.

The high detergent level results in cleaning everything it touches.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thread cutting oil (aka sulfurized, or "black" cutting oil} is available at all the major hardware retailers. Also available cheap online.
Much better than motor oil.

If you're doing a lot of small drilling, get a sensitive drill chuck (aka jack-off chuck).

Back