[Newbie] Tiny flycutter?

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I found this in the stash of machinist tools given to me.
Is this a very small flycutter?

d9434587e3b793c942379e06e3e7518d.jpg

eb397cfa550f25e217a1b8ba047010e9.jpg

1bbfe5dd30bf154717de71c3d84231fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, that is what it is. I have got one just like it I made from a bolt. The idea was to use it to cut dovetails but I haven't gotten there yet.

Yep, that is what it is. I have got one just like it I made from a bolt. The idea was to use it to cut dovetails but I haven't gotten there yet.

Interesting.
I’m assuming the end of the cutter is ground to the dovetail angle?
Or am I completely missing how it’s used?

Put a HSS tool in the slot however long for the stick out to fly cut a surface on the mill. Too long, or too much RPM will vibrate.

Interesting.
I’m assuming the end of the cutter is ground to the dovetail angle?
Or am I completely missing how it’s used?

Pretty much. I made it and then sat it aside as the project hasn't materialized yet. Too much iron in the fire so to speak. Today I had to install a new tub, it had lasted for 17 years and finally gave up the ghost to 3 monsters jumping in it. Was fiberglass and I replaced it with steel. I hate freaking plumbing.

Very cool. I have one a lot like it. I use it like a dogmeat inserted end mill.

Pretty much. I made it and then sat it aside as the project hasn't materialized yet. Too much iron in the fire so to speak. Today I had to install a new tub, it had lasted for 17 years and finally gave up the ghost to 3 monsters jumping in it. Was fiberglass and I replaced it with steel. I hate freaking plumbing.

I hear you. My niece’s husband is a plumber and I learned a lot from having him help me on renovations. But still not my favourite trade. No offence to any plumbers here :)

Back