Tiny groove

I think you could grind a HSS tool in about 5 min.

maybe 20 years ago with better eyes. Plus need a better grinder, or at least a new wheel.

I have a hacksaw blade holder, but I grind the end of the hacksaw blade into a parting tool like end. No teeth I remove them from the
end I'm going to cut with. So it just cuts from the top edge same as parting blade.
My blade is straight in the tool holder. No angle up or down.

Gonna have to check out those hss blades as I've just used the cheap blades and just on aluminum. brass etc . Not steel.

I will heat the end and quench it if it won't hold an edge, then it usually will cut better.
I also have parting blades ground thinner. Latest one was for a 3d printer extruder body. I ground a hss blade to .055 to machine the fins.

Those blade holders are made from a chevy crankshaft, the one for the hacksaw blade has a cold rolled steel piece bolted on that has the slitting saw cut to hold the blade. The notch in the upper right of it in the first picture is an oil passage from it's days as a crankshaft.
The china blade is in dovetail grooves and has brass inserts that the bolts push on to hold the blade.
20180918_100731[1].jpg20180918_100755[1].jpg

I have ground a piece of hss for this but when I first started I just plunged in with a thread cutting tool to depth and then used a hacksaw to clean it up. Doesnt take long when its precut because the hacksaw blade self aligns.

Back