Tiny old planer

That is a cute little "OLD" planer. In excellent condition as well, like all of Jake's machines. Jake's machines look like they have been transported by time machine into our era. They do not look restored, do not look neglected either, nearly all of them just look like a working but well cared for machine that was in use yesterday, cleaned up nicely at the end of the day, and then whisked 5, 10, or 15 decades later into Jake's shop. He has one planer that I think Jake said was from 1865. Beautiful.

Here is another machine from the collection including the "very old lathe" It can be operated either by hand or power.

View attachment 267465

View attachment 267466
I have recently acquired a planer that looks very much like yours. It is made by A. J. Wilkinson but had a Garvin nameplate on it. Mine does not have the stand like yours though. I am in the process of restoring it and am thinking about how I want to mount a countershaft and motor. I have mounted it on a stand and I am thinking about mounting the countershaft and motor underneath. In thinking about this I am wondering what horsepower motor to use and whether to use flat belts 1" wide or 2" wide. Mine has three 6" diameter 2" wide pulleys on the drive shaft. The center pulley is the "fast" pulley and the pulleys on each side of the "fast" pulley are "loose" pulleys. If I use 1" wide belts I can position them such that neither is on the "fast" pulley which gives a "neutral" or non-driving position and by shifting one or the other onto the "fast" pulley it begins driving the planer. However, I wonder whether a 1" wide belt will transmit enought torque to operate properly. I could use a 2" wide belt but then there will always be one of the belts on the "fast" pulley. This would make it more difficult to then operate it with the hand crank. So I am wondering if you have your planer running and if so what width belts and what horsepower motor you are using and what RPM is the drive shaft turning. I have calculated that running the drive shaft at approximately 160 RPM will give a cutting speed of 20 feet per minute. Is that speed an adequate speed or should it be faster or slower?

I have recently acquired a planer that looks very much like yours. It is made by A. J. Wilkinson but had a Garvin nameplate on it. Mine does not have the stand like yours though. I am in the process of restoring it and am thinking about how I want to mount a countershaft and motor. I have mounted it on a stand and I am thinking about mounting the countershaft and motor underneath. In thinking about this I am wondering what horsepower motor to use and whether to use flat belts 1" wide or 2" wide. Mine has three 6" diameter 2" wide pulleys on the drive shaft. The center pulley is the "fast" pulley and the pulleys on each side of the "fast" pulley are "loose" pulleys. If I use 1" wide belts I can position them such that neither is on the "fast" pulley which gives a "neutral" or non-driving position and by shifting one or the other onto the "fast" pulley it begins driving the planer. However, I wonder whether a 1" wide belt will transmit enought torque to operate properly. I could use a 2" wide belt but then there will always be one of the belts on the "fast" pulley. This would make it more difficult to then operate it with the hand crank. So I am wondering if you have your planer running and if so what width belts and what horsepower motor you are using and what RPM is the drive shaft turning. I have calculated that running the drive shaft at approximately 160 RPM will give a cutting speed of 20 feet per minute. Is that speed an adequate speed or should it be faster or slower?
Faster or slower? If using HSS much faster, If carbon steel, about right for grey metals.

looks like I have a baby brother to yours. Only uses hand power!
I bought this Baldwin planer about 2001 just after I quit working for other people, I do not think it was used very much.
The Ken Copes book on foot powered machinery has a lot on Baldwin including what they called a hand planer and power planer. According to the cuts from an 1869 catalog, you could get it in a 22 inch version for $95 and a 40 inch model at $115 and both were hand versions. They also offered a power version in 36 in and 48 inch.

100_0828.JPG

That is a cute little "OLD" planer. In excellent condition as well, like all of Jake's machines. Jake's machines look like they have been transported by time machine into our era. They do not look restored, do not look neglected either, nearly all of them just look like a working but well cared for machine that was in use yesterday, cleaned up nicely at the end of the day, and then whisked 5, 10, or 15 decades later into Jake's shop. He has one planer that I think Jake said was from 1865. Beautiful.
Like he said........whisked DECADES after last careful use.
Although, like antique furniture, proper restoration not easily seen. Many confuse restoration, re-fit, rebuild, repair; maybe related but not same. A proper job might take each to resurrect a machine tool.
Make room for a planer? You bet! Certain I could sell gooseneck or radius press brake die sets. But; a 10' planer sits on a 20'+ bed. . .needing a ~25' foundation. Insert PO'ed smilie here.

:drool::drool::drool::drool:

i must have been born in the wrong century.
these planers appeal to me more than anything from the 21st century
Have you see this one from OutSideScrewBall?
You'll drool all over your desk fer sure.

Last edited:
Have you see this one from OutSideScrewBall?
You'll drool all over your desk fer sure.
thanks for the video!
i'm at a loss for words, i had to pause the video to comment here.
i'm pretty sure the owner of the Rose has forgotten more than i'll ever know.
the devise rivals the ancient Antikythera mechanism in my book

Back