Tiny Razor Blades Everywhere!

A razor knife is a constant companion, so I hold the knife against my first finger, drag it till I feel the splinter, and pinch it with my thumb. If that doesn't pluck it out, it's time to go fishin in my hide. Either way is usually nearly painless and efficient. A fresh blade is better for the second method.

Not really relevant to the topic of sharp chips and swarf, but your title reminded me of my time working at Gillette in the men's blade test division. Everyone had stacks and stacks of punched, sharpened razor blades on their desks, on their desk shelves, around the wall of their cube, everywhere. Literally tens of thousands on each person's desk! Kind of a horror show, imagining them all coming crashing down.

Ive been using super glue on cuts for years. If you go to the ER and get liquid stitches, guess what it is...... generic sterilized super glue.

I find that my pocket knife works well for most of the noseem's. When we got married 40 years ago I worked in a shop the did all stainless steel and they took pictures of our hands with the rings my hands were covered in small blark dots of stainless.

When I get a a splinter, I don't bother looking for the tweezers with a magnifying glass in them. I just start jabbing tearing skin around the splinter till I get it out. I have so many calluses on my fingers I don't feel any pain from it. Fiberglass splinters though......are a devil.

For really small ones on the soft spots like the side of your fingers I use gorilla tape. It will pull out lots of them and works wonders on fiberglass slivers.

The really strong neo magnets can pluck slivers out of skin fairly well... Even has a chance to grab stainless slivers due to the slight magnetisim from work hardening SS...

my first job out of high school was working as a machinist trainee in my uncle's machine shop. one of my first jobs was cutting ss stock pieces on the metal saw and de-burring the edges on a belt sander. At the time I had signed up to join the navy reserve and my finger prints got rejected by the fbi because of all the little cuts I had.. had to resubmit them after they healed up some ..

Last edited:
Back