Tip o’ the Day

francist

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Every time I cut something on my bandsaw I think of this little trick I use and wonder if anyone else might find it useful. So....

Like a lot of folks, I use a stick wax blade lubricant on the bandsaw. Comes in a cardboard tube about 2” in diameter and six inches long or so. I use Formax, but there are others, doesn’t matter. I like it, but always found the big tube awkward if I’m cutting something small. So I figured I’d downsize a bit.

Canada discontinued use of the copper penny a few years ago so I ended up with a surplus of paper coin rolling tubes. Turns out they are the exact same diameter as an electrical box knockout (everybody saves those, right?). So I poked one knockout down to the bottom of an empty tube, melted some chips of the Formax in an old tin can and poured in a half-inch or so. In a few minutes it was solid enough to pour the rest of the tube full and let it cool.

In use it works just like a crayon and I can get in close while the cut is in progress. And with the addition of a tiny magnet on the bottom of the knockout, it sticks conveniently to the top of the casting and always within reach.

7479D0C9-554F-4B97-B2A3-EC1657A19A80.jpeg

C386D6F7-524C-427D-8D6A-4E7BAA94C09C.jpeg

599C9EFC-639E-429C-863E-52DA4DB5FFDE.jpeg

Hope somebody can find that useful, thanks for looking.

-frank

Great idea, Frank! I'll have to give that a try.

Good idea, thanks for sharing!

I have a tube of Formax but I use it for my belt sander. I'm assuming they have different formulas or is it the same stuff? (edit: looks like they do have different types of wax sticks) Mine must have shriveled up or something cause the stuff just slides right out of my tube, I got it like that. I'll have to try your idea, that tube is too fat, would be much easier to use in a small size.

For my bandsaw I use Boelube wax though. I buy them in the little sizes, much more expensive than buying a full 14oz tube but they're easy to use & lasts a while for me anyway. Like a push pop ice cream, just push the bottom up to expose more wax.

20191006_230006.jpg

Sorry to go off topic & forgive my ignorance but I'm curious, what do you guys do now that there is no more penny? Is everything rounded up or down to 5 cents when paying cash?

Yup, the purchase is rounded up or down, whichever is closest. It's a bit weird at times as you're standing at the cashier and they say "that'll be a dollar thirty-two. Oh just give me a dollar thirty". A bit like the barter system but not quite :confused 2: Few people use cash anymore anyways, even the parking meter accepts a credit card.

Yes the Formax has a few different formulations and I'll be darned if I can find a number on the stuff I have. I remember looking for it before to no avail. It was the only type the saw shop in town carried so there was never any confusion -- it's the white tube with red lettering if that's of any use. We used to use it primarily on the chop saw for cutting aluminum extrusions. From what I gather, the different versions are slightly higher or lower melt points depending on what you're doing with it. The type I have is quite hard, not greasy. I use mine on the grinding belts too and it works great, keeps the part nice and cool and the belt stays cleaner. I don't think I've ever seen the Boelube around here but our suppliers aren't what they used to be back in the day. Very little industry here anymore.

-frank

Heres a link to the fomax site with different formulas and explanations on what their intended use is.

Forgive my ignorance I guess I'm not following. I use Nikx Wax from TheLittleMachineshop. It has a moving bottom which allows me to push the wax up and out of the plastic tube (sort of a like a deodrant stick). I then rub a little on both sides of the blade. As the blade heats up the wax becomes oil and drains down to the teeth. Am I using it wrong?

Edit: I think the issue may be that the diameter of the wax stick you use is 2", Nikx Wax is like 1" I think.

Yes that’s right, it’s the 2” diameter tube that was making it awkward for me and was the impetus for my smaller, home-made stick. A one inch diameter stick/tube alleviates the problem right from the get-go.

-frank

Sorry to go off topic & forgive my ignorance but I'm curious, what do you guys do now that there is no more penny? Is everything rounded up or down to 5 cents when paying cash?
Good riddance to pennies!

Craig

Back