Tip: Ordering USPS Free Shipping Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

extropic

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My purpose for posting this is to prevent others from having to learn the hard way.
COVID has apparently put fulfillment of such orders on the (way) back burner.

I ordered (online) some Priority Mail Boxes about 6 weeks ago, but they haven't showed up.

I reordered about 8 days ago and decided to pay more attention this time. I saved the email with the Order Number.

Today I called USPS Customer Care (800-275-8777) and, after navigating the automated system, picked the "Order Free Shipping Supplies" option.
Then selected the "Check Order Status" option, which connected me to a human being.
Based on the background noise, my guess is she was working from home.
Anyway, she found my order and indicated there was no progress. She said she would flag the order for "expedite" and that would get it done.

She also indicated that, next time, I should call two days after I order.

So, ordering online isn't sufficient to get supply orders actually delivered, at least where I am.

You may need to phone and tell them you were serious.

Good Luck.

I just go to the post office and pick up what I need, they are well supplied and there is an lobby display, so no waiting in line.

I have used USPS exclusively for my biz for over 30yrs and while Covid is a part of it, i don’t believe it’s the biggest part. The USPS has been starved and lately outright sabotaged by appointees and before that congress. Before the last big squeeze I would regularly order cases of boxes and get them within a week or two. But in the last year with the impending budget shortfall all the sudden boxes that are also stocked in the P.O. have not shown up. But my order of the customs pouches for packages showed up. My local P.O. can give me one or two boxes but are restricted because they can’t easily get resupply.

I have used USPS exclusively for my biz for over 30yrs and while Covid is a part of it, i don’t believe it’s the biggest part. The USPS has been starved and lately outright sabotaged by appointees and before that congress. Before the last big squeeze I would regularly order cases of boxes and get them within a week or two. But in the last year with the impending budget shortfall all the sudden boxes that are also stocked in the P.O. have not shown up. But my order of the customs pouches for packages showed up. My local P.O. can give me one or two boxes but are restricted because they can’t easily get resupply.
Supplies here are plentiful.

I just go to the post office and pick up what I need, they are well supplied and there is an lobby display, so no waiting in line.
Can't do that if you use Regional Rate Boxes. I use them exclusively and they are not stocked in brick and mortar USPS local offices.

It looks like DeJoy, has given no joy to anyone but competing shippers. Apparently he is on his way out, but it will take several years to repair the damage he has done. Mike

It looks like DeJoy, has given no joy to anyone but competing shippers. Apparently he is on his way out, but it will take several years to repair the damage he has done. Mike
You said it my friend.

The downhill slope was engineered. The privatization craze by certain ideological folks has been hobbling USPS whenever they can. And using the appointments like political footballs aimed at breaking the union. But when they passed legislation that made the USPS pre pay their retirement over 10yrs ago it put them in a hole they’ve not been able to dig out of. And ever since there has been the incessant din of they are losing $$. Meanwhile they run 7days a week, delivering for Amazon on Sunday and my carrier in my little town of 14,000 says everyday since last year is like a holiday rush.

USPS supplies do take a bit longer to get, but for me it is 5-7 days. I am sure it is influenced by a multitude of factors and location specific, but the USPS has been beat up through the years which has often been politically motivated sabotage. Who knows, Amazon may be delivering your mail in the not so distant future.

These days it is almost impossible to get to a person, let alone anyone that knows anything or can do anything. Everyone just makes up something. I needed to get some new shocks from my truck, call around and no one answers their phone, they all say email. So you email them and get a different story from different sellers, from a 3-4 week to you will have to wait to 2022. Yeah, as the oil bubbles out of the shock. Ended up calling the manufacturer, and much of the production line is backed up from lack of parts. The shock I wanted, maybe 6 months lead time, he suggested a different one with a 4-6 week lead time. Ordered that from the distributor online, never heard any follow-up. Hard to get anybody that knows anything or willing do get off their arse. End of rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back