Tips for turning hexagonal stock on a lathe?

It's faster to make hex round than the reverse. Just stick the hex in a 3 jaw and turn away! To start with round and make it hex, you have to do the math, set up precisely 6 times, then turn the round part anyway as it will be bigger than the hex part if you don't.

I agree with @epanzella - throw your hex in the 3-jaw & go to town.

I also was a little leery my first time about the interrupted cuts on my little lathe, but as it turned out I was worried about nothing at all. Granted, I was only turning down 1” 6061 aluminum hex, but it was a piece of cake. I was being conservative seeing as it was my first try, but I think I started with .010” cuts until it was round, then .025” cuts after that.

A while back I needed to make an .850” o/d bolt knob & of course, didn’t have any 7/8” or 1” round bar left, but did have 6’ of 1” hex. Not the most efficient or cost effective way of going about it to be sure, but I got the job done nonetheless.

Pic of the leftover piece:
m_Hex into round 005.jpg

Last edited:
I wasn't too worried about it, but never hurts to ask. Thanks for the help.

Also I see what I did on the Hex measurement. Brain disconnected from the eyes. The diagram shows corner to corner, but then goes on to show that distance is greater than flat to flat....

Back