Tips on hand machining with a cold chisel.

Looks really good Koi. Keep an eye out for that mill. Also remember that heat is your friend, especially if you can find a blacksmith to help you.

Reactions: Koi
You need the right chisels. + 1 on the Cape Chisel
A dremel with a cut off disc would also be a big plus IMO but to finish it....get the right chisels and read up first. There’s a good description online on using chisels for keyways....I think it’s the Navy machinist manual...or Army machinist manual. Google is your friend.

A dremel with a cut off disc would also be a big plus IMO but to finish it....get the right chisels and read up first. There’s a good description online on using chisels for keyways....I think it’s the Navy machinist manual...or Army machinist manual. Google is your friend.
Will it be possible for a Dremel to reach a slot that's only approximately 4 by 5 by 2

Dremel is only good for a key which has full access such as maybe a shaft. And you’re going to be using one of the small fiberglass cut off discs. Even then... I would finish the key with a cape chisel and small file. I’d go very slow. All said....it’s not an easy task IMO. If th e part is expensive or irreplaceable...bring it to a machine shop with mills and broaches. Just my opinion....

Last edited:
If you are trying to cut keyway inside a gear and had no machine tools then I would use a hacksaw blade to carefully cut a slot more narrow than needed but to the correct depth. Then finish with “cape chisel” and file. A jewelry saw would be more accurate but with a jewelry saw one would have to use the saw while a hacksaw blade can be used without the saw frame if needed.
Good luck and take it slow.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Koi
One of the old books I was reading mentioned using cutting oil when chiseling steel. Maybe I'll give that a go when I'm in the shop this afternoon, try out some good sulfurized cutting oil on some scrap.

I may have not been hitting the chisel hard enough when at a lower angle. My nearest neighbors are a quarter mile away through the woods, so maybe I'll whack the thing hard enough to make the complain :grin:

Koi, Mayhew makes cape chisels: Mayhew cape chisels
Not sure where you would find them in Malaysia but there should be a regional manufacturer making an equivalent.
I bought one made my by toptul cuts into soft steel but I wish the width can be smaller though.

Back