Tips on hand machining with a cold chisel.

Koi

Registered
Registered
This is a problem I'm having when using a cold chisel.I'm attempting to put a slot on a steel plate but it seems like I'm only chipping away some metal and after a few cut,it looks like a disaster.Any tips on doing that.

I made a project of cutting a v-slot in a tooling plate using hand tools. No, it is not finished yet, but it is coming along surprisingly well given how badly it all started out.

I started the slot with a hacksaw, then used a cape chisel to widen it, then used square files to form the V. The chisel did not work well; chips would snap off before they even got to an inch long. The steel plate is some of that 1/4" mystery stuff they sell at the hardware store, and is much harder than I expected it to be.

You might try using a file or hacksaw to score the line for the slot, as that will break through the skin of the metal which may be hard. Also, clamp some pieces of wood to either side, making a guide about the width of the chisel. I didn't do this, and marked up the tooling plate something ugly.

I haven't seen any soid advice on the angle for the chisel. It's always "too large an angle from the surface and the chisel won't cut; too small an angle and the chisel will get dull fast". Maybe hone the chisel on a stone and try a smaller angle?

EDIT: This guy appears to be using a 45 degree angle.

Reactions: Koi
When chiseling out some slots in 3/8 mild steel plate I drilled the holes first then held it in the vise with the jaws to the line so I could use them as the chisel guide.
The chisel went along the slot at a 45' angle.
The metal came off surprisingly easy and the chisel never caught the jaws because of their hardness.

Will a wood chisel that is hardened be used as a cold chisel since it has a flat under unlike a cold chisel having bevel angle at the edge

Last edited:
Chisels were once the primary tools used for metal cutting, machining, as it were. It is a lost art perfected only with time and practice. I'm guessing there are a fair number of people proficient in the craft in some third world countries. Here not so much...............Bob

Will a wood chisel that is hardened be used as a cold chisel since it has a flat under unlike a cold chisel having bevel angle at the edge
A wood chisel has a narrow angle which leads to a thin and delicate blade. It is not robust enough to hold up to cutting steel. A cape chisel would be the correct tool for the job.

Start with the correct chisel for the job (cape chisel) ensuring it is properly sharpened. Position the chisel at the correct angle, not too shallow or too deep. Proceed slowly until proficiency achieved.

Do you have access to a dremel tool?

F3FC9B0A-017D-4199-B982-AB9879BBF9B6.png

If you can get something like this with small cutoff wheels you can cut the outline of your hole and chisel from there.

An oscillating saw like this might also be useful for making plunge cuts with the right blades.

45173705-DBEB-494A-9509-EE9C9C4B72EC.jpeg

I know this doesn’t address your question directly but both these tools are relatively cheap and have earned their keep in my shop.

Along with a good selection of quality cold chisels :encourage:

Cheers,

John

Do not expect to make long chips with a hand hammered chisel, it can be done with a pneumatic chipping gun, at least relatively long chips can be made.

Back