Tired, in a hurry, don't do what I did - bad accident - end mill defeated finger.

sorry for your troubles David, i hope you heal fast and well.
thank you for posting this as a warning to the rest of us machine operators .
Dan

David... All of us get careless sooner or later, thanks for the "eye opener" to remind us that things can go horribly wrong in an instant.
Get well soon. Bill W.

I've cut myself on an end mill that isn't even turning so I can imagine how something like this can happen in a flash. A vivid reminder to make sure any machine is powered down and stopped before making any adjustments or getting your hand near it. About 25 years ago I was removing and emptying the grass catcher on a gas powered mower with it running... My daughter came out with a trash bag and I was momentarily distracted and my hand entered the grass chute opening. I'm lucky and still have the hand and my fingers, but it looked a lot like yours (same hand, same finger). It's number one on my list of stupid things I've done in my life, but ever since then I'm extremely careful around any machine (not just lawn mowers lol). I imagine you will be too! A tough way for you & me to learn a lesson, but could have been much worse.

Hope you heal fast!

Yes, hope you have a good outcome with the finger. As said, could have been anyone of us, and always good to be reminded to avoid those situations we all encounter from time to time. All the best, Mike

Hope you heal quickly. I've done something similar on the table saw. Unfortunately, even after 10 years it still hurts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a finger whipped around between a v-belt and pulley. Like everyone has said, it only takes a millisecond of misattention.

David, I'm sorry you had a bad experience. This could happen to any of us so we all must remain attentive.
Yesterday I watched a Tubalcain video and he made specific mention to shut off the machine between operations.
Big end mills and fly cutters can be particularly hazardous.

Good luck, it will be years before you don't have a fuzzy feeling in your finger. And your nail bed is probably destroyed and your nail will never grow right. But You Have Your FINGER.

Sorry for your pain. I lost the end of the middle finger on my left hand with the clamp on a paper cutting machine. End of day, in a hurry to get the blade changed before my sift ended, looked over at my future wife and wham! Multiple things I did wrong. Bandage and splint was good for a laugh for several weeks. I hope it all works out well for you.

Back