Tired, in a hurry, don't do what I did - bad accident - end mill defeated finger.

Ouch. That looks terrible.
I have a feeling it will heal up fine. I'll bet you can keep the distal phalanx. But please let us know how this turns out. We all know we are one second away from being in the same boat.
Regards
Robert

David, I'm sorry to see that but I hope you get back to your shop as soon as you are physically fit to do so,in my experience ( I had similar incident with a router) this type of injuries leave a deeper scar mentally and you reach a point that you are physically healed but mentally you need to psyche yourself to get back to the scene of the accident, the longer you wait the more hesitant you'll feel.
I hope you are a fast healer and thank you for reminding us that complacency can sometimes be painful.

Hey David,I can't say any more then what's been said except I'm sorry it was you that delivered the message of the importance of safety and clear headed in the shop that picture will stay with me for a long time and hope you heal well and soon .

OMG!!!!!!!! And you have just sent chills throughout my body!!!!!!!! So very sorry!!!!!!

That should be printed and hanging near every machine in the shop.

I can only imagine the throbbing pain.... Groan :(
Sorry for you.
I hope it heals quick.

Very sorry to see this happen to you.
I hope you heal up soon.

Lesson taken here! Hope your recovery goes well.

Wow , that looks really sore, How did you manage to take the photo?, That would really be the last thing on my mind. Going to show that to my son , Hope it heals quickly.

... I recommend finding the best hand surgeon in your area. The hospital I initially went to wanted to amputate the past the last knuckle but I listened to a friend and got a second opinion. They were able to graft tissue from my pinky to reconstruct the tip of my ring finger made a huge difference....

Eddy
I had my left big toe almost totally removed and the 2 next to it were (and are) missing (not machine related - I hit a cop car on a Harley and yes tequila was involved). Lots of pressure to just remove the 1/4 inch of meat left holding my big toe on and be done with it. "A 10% chance of it working", they said. However, I got very stubborn (normal attitude for me when drinking tequila) and refused to agree. I figured we could always take it off later but at least give it a try. It was about a year and a half of living with a super, super sensitive toe, then back to normal. That was in 1980. I've gotten a lot of good use out of that toe since then. It has enabled me to do things I would have missed without it.

So I agree with Eddyde. Don't lose the finger except as a last option. I'm sure you would miss the finger more than I would have my toe. And the toe decision was one of the best I've made (and the only good decision made when plastered on tequila!).

Back