"Titan 60" engine build

Very cool!

How does the backplate thread to the body? Looks like 4 bulges in the casting for future screws?

Please be careful with B-12. It's vapor is heavier than air and seems to be deadly to small rodents. It is also awesome solvent for stains/dychem.

Very cool!

How does the backplate thread to the body? Looks like 4 bulges in the casting for future screws?

Thanks! Yup, 4 itty bitty countersunk screws. I have been going back and forth on whether I should clamp the parts together and drill/countersink them then thread the body and clearance drill the backing plate, or if I should drill them separately. I'm leaning towards the former.

Please be careful with B-12. It's vapor is heavier than air and seems to be deadly to small rodents. It is also awesome solvent for stains/dychem.

Thanks for the B12 warning, especially with a little one around (the dog is smart enough to generally avoid killing himself, but how the human race has endured I will never understand...) That does also sound like a feature in some circumstances though.

Progress has been made!!!

My next step was to bore the crankcase for the yet to be made cylinder sleeve. In order to do this I needed to be able to locate the CL of the crank so I made this bushing and pressed it into the end of the crank journal:

IMG_20171215_221414.jpg
IMG_20171215_221802.jpg

Then it was time to do some milling :) well... boring.... but it wasn't boring, it was very cathartic.

IMG_20171217_132901.jpg

Until this happened... I was cruising along fine and I must have adjusted my boring head to be a little too unbalanced for my given speed. I began cutting and it suddenly began going down hill very quickly. I don't know if I just hit a harmonic node and could have pushed past it, or If I was just going to be unstable from there out, but I backed off the RPM and everything quieted down. Fortunately this was while I was still hogging material out, so no harm done.

IMG_20171217_140441.jpg

Once the bore was finished, I used the boring head as a single point tool to deck the head. I doubt this is recommended, but it actually worked very well. THe camera makes things look atrocious, but it is an RMS 63 finish or better.

IMG_20171217_215123.jpg

Next, I drilled and tapped the three holes which will secure the cylinder body and head. This was my first time doing anything meaningful with a DRO, and I must say that they are amazing. Anything a DRO can do can be done by hand, but it just made life so much nicer.... I also milled the exhaust port to "length". No direct pictures of these steps, but here is the final product:

IMG_20171217_230209.jpg

IMG_20171217_230223.jpg

IMG_20171217_230735.jpg

One thing I didn't consider in my setup and probably should have was chip clearing. It didn't end up being a problem, but I was running out of room:

IMG_20171217_225832.jpg

Looks good. I fly rc model airplanes and have dealt with glow fuel engines for over 20 years. I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Enjoy your son. Trust me the time will fly by.

Chris

Back