Titan glow engine kit

I might own 30 or more .60 engines. OS, YS, OPS, Rossi, Jett, K@B, more than I'll ever use.......

It would be a thrill to fly an engine that I built myself. The kit is for a control-line version. I guess it could be modified to accept an R/C carb. An R/C carb might be beyond the capability of most hobby machinists - certainly me. So I would swallow my pride and put a commercial carb on it.

I doubt the engine would be a strong runner or last long. I don't see how a hobbyist would achieve the required metallurgy and tight tolerances. It would be more of a novelty than a useful engine.

Pistons and bores on glow engines have been chromed or hard-plated for longer than I've been around. Must be a reason for that. I think a home-built glow engine would be a lot of fun to put together and run in, but I don't think it will last as long as a refined design like the OS60. Not to mention the impact that good electrics have had on glow fueled flight. Even though the smell of glow engines sends me straight back to my childhood, nobody wants oily, dirty, smelly planes in the car or house anymore (not to mention the noise).

An RC carburetor should not be much of a challenge beyond the close-fitting parts and possibly a simple taper in the venturi. @JPMacG, I hope you pursue this, it would make a great thread! What kind of plane would you put it on? Certainly not a homemade motor on an ARF!

I'm in the process of building a 5-cylinder radial glow engine over here:

I've never so much as seen a remote control airplane; so I'm just building the engine for the project's sake. If I get interested in model planes 5 or 10 or 50 years down the line, maybe I'll drop it in one (assuming I finish the motor...).

@JPMacG: if you've got an extra airplane lying around, you can toss my Edwards in there when I finish and give it a spin.

JRaut - Thank you for the link. Your work on the radial engine is amazing. I'm slowly reading through it all. The best way to get into RC is through a local club. Just looking quickly, there are about 8 clubs in the Minneapolis area. The Academy of Model Aeronautics is the national organization of RC modelers and has a club finder utility on their website: www.modelaircraft.org Any club would love to see the work you are doing - they would likely want you to give a presentation at their monthly meeting.

Pontiac428 - I think the Titan kit uses a cast iron (Meehanite?) piston. Enya uses cast iron pistons in their SuperSport engine line. The Enyas are long lasting and well regarded. But the Enya cylinder liner is chrome plated - I think - could be wrong. I'm not clear on whether or not the Titan uses a liner or just the bored out aluminum casting but in any case it would not be chrome/nickel plated, so not long lasting.

If I go forward and am lucky enough to get decent performance from the engine I would likely put it in my Andrews Aeromaster 60-sized bipe. The Aeromaster is about 40 years old and is built from a kit and covered with silkspan and dope. Seems it would be an appropriate home for a home-built engine.

I'm mostly gas engines these days (DA120, DA 170, etc) but burning glow fuel is of of my favorite smells in the world.

Back