Titan tools drills are junk

Jim F

Registered
Registered
Company bought some drills to address burrs from dull drill bits.
Mat'l is 4130, .083 thick, less than 200 parts later, drill bits are gone.
Lube with cutting oil on each hole.

Can you describe what the cutting edges look like or perhaps a picture?

Agreed!

I got a set of hex-square extenders like this:
1674657737232.png

They are meant to grab and hold the socket with the collar pulled back to recess the ball to release.
When new the mechanism was gritty and stuck.
I could not get a socket on.

Brian

I have had very poor results with anything less than well-known 'name brand' drills (and even some of those). I consider Hertel the least expensive 'decent' brand. I hear good things about Viking / Norseman, and might even have some (I think that's what I used to receive when buying singles at my formerly-local industrial supply). @pontiac428 I would love to hear the story behind that straight drill. I assume it didn't really untwist...

GsT

I've had junk drills untwist, like the ones that come in the Ikea packets and hardware bonus pack junk. But the drill is only a part of the equation. Two flute twist drills grab sheet metal with great force as we all know. A single straight flute drill with a a 90 degree cutout does a lot better job of keeping the hole round as the point of the bit passes the edges of the hole being cut, where two flute drills grab and make a mess of the bit and work. Then there are annular cutters, which can do well on sheet metal with the right setup. Take a look at a Unibit step drill, which is made for rough handling and hand-held drilling through sheet metal panel enclosures. They are well-mannered because of the single flute.

No pics, they went in the dumpster.
Corners were knocked off 2 and the cutting edge was chipped on the third.
Were you drilling a hole that wasn't much smaller than the bit? If you are opening up a hole and just using a small area on the edge of the bit even really good ones will get the edges knocked off.

And if you did not use the correct speed it makes it worse.

Back