Look Ma! No Seam! (hiding in a groove)
Img_0797.jpg

Img_0802.jpg

Img_0814.jpg

Img_0804.jpg

A CR2 fits inside
Img_0817.jpg

This one is SureFire E-series compatible. :roflmao:
Here it is with a Ti E-series knurled body I just finished & a Mcgizmo PR-T head.
Img_0821.jpg

Hmm, maybe I should make some battery cases. :ponder:

Others I have made in various finishes & colors:

Img_3522.jpg

Img_3532.jpg

Img_3630.jpg

Img_4004.jpg

Img_4016.jpg

Img_4027.jpg

Img_4037.jpg

Img_4041.jpg

Man I wish those pics were not blurred out. I have a Ti project coming up and it will be my first time with the material, any pointers? I've heard fast, slow (rpm) water/coolant, light spritz... I don't assume that's grade 5? probably more likely 2? The only affordable Ti seems to be grade 5. Love the anodizing...another bucket list for me as well...

Man I wish those pics were not blurred out. I have a Ti project coming up and it will be my first time with the material, any pointers? I've heard fast, slow (rpm) water/coolant, light spritz... I don't assume that's grade 5? probably more likely 2? The only affordable Ti seems to be grade 5. Love the anodizing...another bucket list for me as well...

I had no idea I posted these with Photobucket IMG links here. I'll fix them when I get a chance, have to find the pics on my PC. The pics should be fine on some of my newer threads.

Here's one that has some of the stash can pics:

Yes, they are grade 5 6AL4V. I've never played with grade 2 yet. Machine it similar to how you would SS304. Flood coolant if you have it. Try to keep temps down & cutters sharp otherwise it will workharden & the chips can ignite. Be very careful of this. I keep my machines clean of chips when machining Ti. I've had chips ignite & burnt my lathe before but I got careless that day. A standard store bought ABC fire extinguisher will not put it out, you need a class D. If you don't have one, keep a bag of sand around. Heat does not get pulled through the chip like steel so take a break & let it cool if you have to. Drilling absolutely sucks. It's possible with HSS but use solid carbide drills if you can. Don't try tapping with ordinally HSS taps.

I was under the impression grade 5 is the devil's Ti...you want grade 2...unless you like being unhappy.
Sounds like 304 to tap...I almost always break the tap somewhere around 98% complete!

I was under the impression grade 5 is the devil's Ti...you want grade 2...unless you like being unhappy.
Sounds like 304 to tap...I almost always break the tap somewhere around 98% complete!

Grade 2 is known as "commercially pure" & is softer. Grade 5 is an alloy & much stronger. People mostly use grade 5 for stuff that I make, that's what they want so that's what I use. Grade 5 is beautiful when machined. All the Ti I have is grade 5. I doubt I will ever buy any CP2 but I am curious. I have some zirconium too but it's just been sitting. That stuff is so expensive I haven't decided what to make with it yet. But at least it's cheaper than all the exotic "damascas" blends.

I use powdered metal taps specifically for tapping tough exotic alloys. Not cheap but worth the money. But I usually single point the threads when possible.

I love machining titanium, just did some tonight. But you are right, drilling and tapping sucks. I'll have to check out the taps you mentioned.

Back