• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Titanium Tippe Tops

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Copy of a post from another forum, 8/2011

I've always wanted to make a Ti tippe top, a recent thread reminded me again. It was over 100 deg today, but I went at it anyways!:heat:

Well my first attempt is a failure! :gaah: :(

It looks nice, spins nice, but it won't tip over far enough to catch & spin on the post. :banghead:

Img_3779.jpg
Img_3786.jpg

The first post I made seemed to be too fat & heavy. When I spun it, the shaft would be perfectly parallel with the surface it's spinning on. So I decided to make a thinner post.
I also bored the recess in the ball deeper. The stock was 1" diameter. I originally bored the recess halfway in, 0.50". Saw a pic showing center of gravity should be below center show I bored it 0.125" deeper making 0.625".
Now when spinning the post drops down lower but still not low enough to catch the surface & flip the top over.

Img_3758.jpg

Success! :hurra:

Lightening the posts did the trick!

So I scaled down Chief-Yeah's measurements that he posted (thank you for those!). Mine was about 88% the size of his aluminum one & surprisingly my measurements weren't drastically off except the bore. My bore is smaller in diameter which I left as is. As Tony suspected, the wood measurements were considerably different when I compared the measurements.

Here's the very first post I made.
Img_3788.jpg

The second thinner post I made which I originally posted.
Img_3792.jpg

Here are the two posts after turning them down.
(I know, I know, extreme overhang but I didn't want to start from scratch & I managed to turn them down with out any cussing! ;))
Img_3795.jpg
Img_3801.jpg
Img_3815.jpg
Img_3810.jpg

The straight post is shorter than the other one & is harder to get a good spin on the top. More often it will spin pretty straight if I get a good spin. The slightly longer post with the larger diameter end is much easier to spin but rarely spins nice and vertical. As an experiment I found the steep point doesn't allow the top to lift up onto the post & spin. I would have though a smaller point would make it spin better.
Img_3820.jpg
Img_3853.jpg

But at least it is working!
I'll keep experimenting though, I think I will try a larger one & maybe some way to make it look cooler.

Others:

Img_0705.jpg
Img_0700.jpg

Carbidized then anodized.
Img_1105.jpg

Left: Satin Finish, Middle: Stonewashed Finish, Right: Carbidized Finish
Img_1102.jpg
Img_1097.jpg
Img_1594.jpg
Img_1850.jpg
Img_1854.jpg

Last edited:

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
WIP pics:

Prepared a 1"x1" piece of solid 6AL4V.
Img_3669.jpg

Drilling out the recess.
Img_3677.jpg

Bored to final diameter.
Img_3686.jpg

Drilling to tap threads.
Img_3694.jpg

Tapping the threads for the post.
Img_3700.jpg

That's done.
Img_3705.jpg

Time to make a mandrel which will also become the post.
Img_3715.jpg

Turning the ball.
Img_3717.jpg
Img_3721.jpg

After some some sanding.
Img_3733.jpg

Cleaned up the edge.
Img_3728.jpg

Making the second thinner post.
Img_3737.jpg
Img_3739.jpg

Last edited:

coolidge

Active User
Registered
Great Ti posts DZ but...didn't you start your lathe on fire turning that stuff? :grin:

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Great Ti posts DZ but...didn't you start your lathe on fire turning that stuff? :grin:
Haha, yeah I did have a small fire. Partly my fault for not paying full attention. Dull insert, forgot to add more lube, burning chip shot right out the bore of the tube I was making & ignited the chips it landed on. Scared the sheezo out of me, lessen learned. No major damage, just cosmetic on the gap, a couple coats of paint took care of it. I really should be using flood coolant but I don't want the mess.

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Nice ball-turning attachment you have, homemade or purchased?
Mark S.

rwm

Active User
Wow! Very Nice!
Robert

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Nice ball-turning attachment you have, homemade or purchased?
Mark S.
Both actually. At the time I did not own a mill so I couldn't make one. I bought one that was for a smaller lathe, like a Myford or something like that. I made a new base plate & riser for it. It's limited to about 1-3/8" diameter. I've been wanted to make a new one to allow larger diameters but I haven't had the need for it yet & the one have now works well.

I have it posted in post #9 here.

[6]
[5] [7]