To buy or not to buy?

grizzly will sell you a brand new model of that with warranty for like 1350 i think

Well I have bought hundreds of items on CL and many in the thousands of dollars. I have never heard of people being robbed over a tool. Bring a friend and make sure he make it clear you wont bring money.

If the adds been up a while, thats a pretty safe sign no one has been robbed. New dont save you anything and if you look around here, it dont save you from working on the machine either half the time. It just looks better while it's torn apart

FWIW - the vice and the table drive cost about 1/2 the asking price of the machine. The drive will likely fit any of the "45" series square column 9x30ish mill/drills.

if I were concerned the seller was not above board, i would definitely call and be wary. do not commit or comment on how much cash you will have on hand. if possible, ask to meet in a public place or parking lot and talk about it a bit. You can always follow them to the location after you are comfortable, and turn away if you do not care for the area.

as their name and try to compare it to a reverse phone lookup or even twenty buck background check online. you can search many things free.

finally, if you are not comfortable, walk away. it isn't that someone would be willing to die over 800, the real concern is the one who would kill for fifty, or fun.

Well I have bought hundreds of items on CL and many in the thousands of dollars. I have never heard of people being robbed over a tool. Bring a friend and make sure he make it clear you wont bring money.

If the adds been up a while, thats a pretty safe sign no one has been robbed. New dont save you anything and if you look around here, it dont save you from working on the machine either half the time. It just looks better while it's torn apart

Here in Phoenix there are reports of robberies related to Craigslist items multiple times a year. They seem to run in groups until the police catch the criminal involved, then another Einstein gets the idea to rob people from a Craigslist listing. The had has been run here with local contact information as well which raises questions in my mind.

Hmm. After reading the "craiglist ad", I got a funny feeling, especially after reading all the comments. If you go look at this machine personally, bring a big and mean looking friend.
Mark

People get robbed on CL adds all the time every where. Typically involving things that appeal to young people. I have just never heard of a machine tool being bait. Being the guy showing up has a higher then likely chance of being a tough guy, it's easier to use an iphone. And a very good chance they would show up with multiple people being it weighs a ton. If an add has been out either no one has showed up or no one is getting robbed. The cops would be all over that internet for like minded adds after one robbery, let alone the exact same add. Millions of things are sold every single day on cl. It's not really an epidemic and sure aint something that would keep me from looking for and buying great deals. Use your brain, bring some friends, and do what you do

I've bought a mill, lathe, 7 buggies, 4 atvs, 4 go carts, at least 10 cars, bandsaw, roller cabinet, so much furniture it's crazy and god knows what else. Never had so much as a hiccup.

I don"t disagree with any of the comments. In fact, they are all good. I guess the bottom line is "buyer beware"
Mark

The seller got back to me with some REALLY blurry pictures. While I'm now convinced it isn't a scam or bait for a CL rip, I think I'll wait and buy a bigger, better machine. If I'm going to spend around a grand, I might as well save up some more and get a machine I won't regret buying. If any of you guys have any contacts that might be selling a machine in the Southern NV area, please let me know. Even if it's in So Cal and I have to hire a rigging company to get it here, I wouldn't mind. Thanks guys!

Back