To cut or not to cut....

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I find myself in a position I didn't expect. I picked up some long (about 8ft) steel stock, about 2-5/8 round bar. It's stupid heavy and I'm considering cutting it down for easier handling and storage. Any reason not to? Not sure the exact type of steel, most looks to be hot rolled, but there is one smaller 2" bar of cold rolled. I doubt it's anything exotic, basic mild steel probably. Plenty good for what I'm up to at the moment anyway.

None of it will fit through the spindle, nor would I want 8ft of stock flapping in the breeze, so I have to cut it to use it anyway. Just curious what you more experienced guys would do / have done for storing something like this.

2 5/8" OD is147 Lbs per length, this is not terribly heavy.
2" is 85 Lbs per length.

Calculating the weight of uniform shape material is the easiest shop math that you will ever have to do.

Last edited:
Since it is already larger than your spindle bore you would have to work on it outside the Chuck. I would cut it to the longest length that will fit between centers and be done with it. Even if a project required a longer length, you couldn't do it anyway.

Ask yourself "what's the longest piece that I'm likely to ever use" and cut a 1/2" longer. Seriously, that's some heavy iron. It is unlikely that you would ever need anything longer than will fit in your lathe. A two foot length would weigh about 37 lbs.

Just curious what you more experienced guys would do / have done for storing something like this.

Up to 12 ft lengths go on the metal rack, or are stored outside on blocks for easy forklift and/or portaband access. A little rust on a bar like that doesn't really hurt anything. Handling a 2 5/8 x 8 ft bar might be better handled by an engine hoist if you don't have a forklift. I wouldn't try to lift it, my back wouldn't take it. :cautious:

Thanks guys. I can certainly handle 37lbs. And that's about as much as will fit in the 1127 anyway.

I'd leave them as long as I could , Never know it may be needed if you do cut them just enough to handle may be best.

Back