to part or not to part (out a lathe)

guckrob

Registered
Registered
So I've got my atlas for sale and a gentleman here locally has offered me $600 for my QC gearbox. I'm inclined to take it and part the lathe out, but since it is a working lathe that seems terribly impure. Will that machinist gods forever be against me for this transgression, or is giving life to dozens of other old lathes out there a noble endeavor?

In all seriousness I think parting it out is a lot of trouble, but it certainly seems like a higher value prospect since most everything is in great condition. The QC box alone at $600 would be about 1/2 what I paid for the machine. It wasn't in great shape at the time, but it cleaned up pretty well.

Seems a shame to part out a complete machine in decent condition, and likely you would be stuck with unsold parts.

pics as requested. I agree it seems like a shame--Just based on my part buying experience, though, I think the parts would move pretty well on ebay, for instance.

I just hadn't really considered this route previously, but checking ebay it looks like they move pretty well.

No point in getting attached, unless it has some sentimental value. I think you would definitely get more parting it out, just be aware it can be a pain. Your best customers will be on eBay, which will also be your worst customers. Selling on eBay can be hit or miss, but still your best bet.

I would be interested in the 3 jaw scroll chuck if you do part the lathe out...

I’ve had 4 Atlas 10F lathes. I rebuilt two and then had a bunch of spares which I decided to part out. BAD IDEA! You will find prices on eBay, but people will “actually” pay about half of what most listings suggest. Your lathe as it sits is worth $1500 to $2000 (Canadian) depending on when you decide to sell it. August is the WORST time, November and February are the best, historically. Wait until November, put $2000 on it and see how fast it sells, or take your $600 now (which is a steal unless it is in US funds) and then you’ll be stuck with an agonizing process of peddling part after part to cheap guys who cherry pick the best pieces, grinding your prices down. Then, once you’ve moved box after box of cast iron pieces from one side of the basement/garage to the other for the fifth time, your put the lot onto Craig’s List/Kijiji and give them away..... only to count the proceeds and find yourself with $1000 total. Ask me how I know, lol. Sell the lathe as a whole, unless you are really really bored. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No point in getting attached, unless it has some sentimental value. I think you would definitely get more parting it out, just be aware it can be a pain. Your best customers will be on eBay, which will also be your worst customers. Selling on eBay can be hit or miss, but still your best bet.

I would be interested in the 3 jaw scroll chuck if you do part the lathe out...

See..... I’m going to speculate that Jason wants to give you $75 for the 3 jaw chuck, lol. That’s $675. Only $1300 to go!

ya I did think about the timing. Part of the reason I want rid of it is to open up my shop because I don't plan on holing up down there much in nice weather turning metal and it is a constant battle between wood dust and metal chips. Also the thought of boxing and shipping dozens of the smaller parts for a few bucks isn't very appealing. I'm going to let it sit on CL and the trading post here for a while and think about it.

If you are just looking to move it, put it on for what you have into it, put “firm” on the listing and it will sell..... you bought it for that, so someone else will. Just patience..... too, when selling on eBay you have to deal with returns, negative feedback, waiting in line at the post office, packing material..... not to mention paying eBay for the privilege. Good luck with the decision, but sell just one part and you are committed.....

Back