Today was a good day.

What a beauty. And very rare. ‘66/‘67? You working on the butterfly valves on the heater boxes?
She's a '63. My original intent was to restore as close to factory appearance as possible with as many "modern" upgrades as that would allow, then use it for a truck. Once done, she was too pretty, and now too valuable, to use as I intended. Along with 12v electrical, disc brakes, 2110 cc motor, and freeway geared trans, I installed electric blowers under the rear seat for a recirculating heating system. I discovered, too late, that in order to replace the engine fan air, the blowers would have to run full-time to prevent overheating of the heater boxes, even when cabin heat was not needed. I am building a duct system that allows the use of both electric fans (when needed for cabin heat) and engine air. The butterflies will allow shutting off the duct from the electric fans when they're not in use. I'll be posting up pictures soon, assuming the welds are suitable for family viewing.

There is a shop here in town that specializes in VW Westphalia campers. Their shop truck is a late model double cab 4wd VW PU. Super rare but not as desirable as Rosie IMHO. I love the pre ‘68 old style body type bus. The ‘67 being the best because of 1600 and 12v. My dad had a ‘66 he bought new that was his baby. I owned a ‘59 delivery van with the doors on both sides, a ‘65 and a ‘66 Sundial camper. The old style bus rode like a truck and was easy to see out of and easy to service. Simple and rugged. 6v was a pain because of dim headlights and you did NOT get in a front ender.

There is a shop here in town that specializes in VW Westphalia campers. Their shop truck is a late model double cab 4wd VW PU. Super rare but not as desirable as Rosie IMHO. I love the pre ‘68 old style body type bus. The ‘67 being the best because of 1600 and 12v. My dad had a ‘66 he bought new that was his baby. I owned a ‘59 delivery van with the doors on both sides, a ‘65 and a ‘66 Sundial camper. The old style bus rode like a truck and was easy to see out of and easy to service. Simple and rugged. 6v was a pain because of dim headlights and you did NOT get in a front ender.
We're in agreement there, '67 was THE ultimate year for VWs. We had a '68 double-cab (originally from Canada) as our shop truck for several years. Post '67 they weren't imported into the U.S., either due to safety standards or import fees on trucks, which is why they are so much rarer than the early style. I didn't much care for it, though it was perfect for hauling 5 guys and their packs (albeit slowly) to a trailhead. The early style ride much nicer once the suspension is loaded.

I consider anything '68 and later to be a pretender, and if it's not a flat-4 air-cooled, it's not a VW.

Thanks for posting the pics. Makes me long for my VW days.
Two Karmann Ghias 65 and a 66
1971 Westy
1972 window van
74 Super
No pics of any of them unfortunately.

maxresdefault.jpgView attachment 362261

Rosie the Rocket-Sled.
Named for the Jackson Browne song.
Dave Kindig from Kindig-It Designs built a '67, and it was the first thing I thought of when I saw yours. His was far from stock, but was a great episode if you are interested. Yours looks great!

My first car was a ‘57 Ghia. Then a ‘65 Ghia. ‘65 and ‘66 bus. ‘62 and ‘66 bugs and the last was a ‘71 Westy. Man I wish I still had that 57 Ghia.

She's a '63. My original intent was to restore as close to factory appearance as possible with as many "modern" upgrades as that would allow, then use it for a truck. Once done, she was too pretty, and now too valuable, to use as I intended. Along with 12v electrical, disc brakes, 2110 cc motor, and freeway geared trans, I installed electric blowers under the rear seat for a recirculating heating system. I discovered, too late, that in order to replace the engine fan air, the blowers would have to run full-time to prevent overheating of the heater boxes, even when cabin heat was not needed. I am building a duct system that allows the use of both electric fans (when needed for cabin heat) and engine air. The butterflies will allow shutting off the duct from the electric fans when they're not in use. I'll be posting up pictures soon, assuming the welds are suitable for family viewing.
I bailed on VW’s in ‘84 when I couldn’t get German engine parts anymore so I’m long out of circulation. A 2110 must run strong. Built one mild 2180 for a friends ‘68 bus and that was insane, and it was a mild cam and mild compression ratio. I built a 1800 for the 71 Westy but got rid of it before I finished the body. That was a special kit with a forged crank. Never ran it :(

Would love to see what you are talking about with the heater box routing.

I had a 1969 Beetle single port 1500, that got bolt on upgraded to 88mm pistons, high ratio rockers, large valves, dual valve springs, weber carb, petronix ignition , headers with a low tone muffler to give the appearance of a stock Bug
i never got to a dyno,
mustangs and camaro's ,at the time, couldn't beat it.
they wouldn't catch me until they got into their 3rd gear.
they always asked, what the hell you got in that thing???
i always replied, aw this...it's just a stock 1500 single port- i put some 92 fuel in it :grin big:

Last edited:
My Dad’s mechanic for his work truck had a side tow service and picked up a ‘65 Porsche 356 SC as wreck and bought the wreck cheap. All front damage so he pulled the engine and put it in his ‘63 Kombie bus. Man it was quick. He used to bait one of those muscle car guys down town and first three gears would blow the doors of them which was good for street light races. He’d be across the intersection before they’d get off the line. Had many a guy follow him back to the garage to see WTH was up with it. That 68 bus with the 2180 would have blown it away. That thing was scary and it was as mild a kit as they made.

Dave Kindig from Kindig-It Designs built a '67, and it was the first thing I thought of when I saw yours. His was far from stock, but was a great episode if you are interested. Yours looks great!
Beautiful work! Looks like the only thing he missed were the corner windows from a 23-window bus.

Back