Today's Joke

savarin

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
And another brick wall banging moment.
As a child I loved all the Burl Ives songs that were played on the radio.
Such as The Farmer and the Boll weevil.
Being in the UK I had no idea what a Boll Weevil was but did gather it was the name of an insect.
The Shoo fly song was another.
After the Boll Weevil song I assumed that a "shoe fly" was another kind of insect.
I was in my 50's when I heard the shoo fly song again whereupon it struck me hard enough that I burst out laughing when I realised what he had been singing about all those years ago.
As I said, talk about thick but I do get there in the end.

Hawkeye

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Accents can be a tricky thing. I used to talk to one of our dealers in New England. To me, he sounded just like JFK. I can just hear the "kah keys".

Bi11Hudson

Artificer00
Talk about thick, it took me 2 days to get the khakis :bang head:
It was once said (Winston Churchill, I think) that England and America were peoples (~~~something) seperated by a common language. In my experience, Australia and New Zealand fall into that catagory as well. I have made a fool of myself more times than I can count while in New Zealand.

Colloquial expressions vary from region to region even in one country. I'm from the "deep south", a Boll Weevel is from cotton country, here! Some one from up north would have no idea what a boll weevel even is or where it resides. Try a little further back, to Tex Ritter for a better idea. A Shoo Fly is more contextual and can vary from conversation conversation. In railroading, it refers to a temporary track around a washout. It can mean any number of things from one subject to another. Some funny, some not so funny.

I grasped the concept of kahkis immediately having worked with an engineer from "Taxichusets" for years. No idea how to spell it, just know it when I hear it. Regional colloquialisms have bit more butts than have accents since there were have been different languages.

eeler1

Dang, buggered that up too!!
H-M Platinum Supporter
It was once said (Winston Churchill, I think) that England and America were peoples (~~~something) seperated by a common language. In my experience, Australia and New Zealand fall into that catagory as well. I have made a fool of myself more times than I can count while in New Zealand.

Colloquial expressions vary from region to region even in one country. I'm from the "deep south", a Boll Weevel is from cotton country, here! Some one from up north would have no idea what a boll weevel even is or where it resides. Try a little further back, to Tex Ritter for a better idea. A Shoo Fly is more contextual and can vary from conversation conversation. In railroading, it refers to a temporary track around a washout. It can mean any number of things from one subject to another. Some funny, some not so funny.

I grasped the concept of kahkis immediately having worked with an engineer from "Taxichusets" for years. No idea how to spell it, just know it when I hear it. Regional colloquialisms have bit more butts than have accents since there were have been different languages.

We knew about it even here in California. Turns out that the boll weavel is a little black bug, come from Mexico they say. Came all the way to Texas, just looking for a place to stay. Just looking for a home.

eugene13

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Do you all remember that old Chuck Berry song; My Dingaling.
You remember, "My Dingaling, My Dingaling, I want to play with My Dingaling".
I figured out what he was singing about, it was his cellphone.
Now I know what you're thinking, there were no cell phones back when that song was popular, that's true, but we all know 'Ol Chuck was way ahead of his time.

silence dogood

Active User
Old Mud's crappy soup reminds me of an "Oh, ooh" moment with the wife last night. "Honey. I decided to try something different with the recipe for dinner tonight. Me :disturbed:. Fortunately, it actually tasted good :cheer:.

GL

Registered
Registered
As I was dealing with a computer issue the other day, I wondered if the ancient Egyptians cursed the guys who were supposed to oil the rods the beads slide on for an abacus. IT guys just kill me some days.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock