Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I started to drive, gas wars were commonplace in Wisconsin. Retailers used to sell gasoline below cost to win customers. The stat decided that is wasn't fair to free enterprise and wrote a law requiring minimum markup. My dad use to buy gas below $.20/gal. and get loads of S&H Green stamps to boot. My parents had a whole set of dinnerware that they got by cashing in the Green stamps. You could get a cup or saucer with every fill up.

The gas wars were almost over when I started driving and I remember only one time that I was able to buy gas at a ridiculous price.

Before I started to drive, gas wars were commonplace in Wisconsin. Retailers used to sell gasoline below cost to win customers. The stat decided that is wasn't fair to free enterprise and wrote a law requiring minimum markup. My dad use to buy gas below $.20/gal. and get loads of S&H Green stamps to boot. My parents had a whole set of dinnerware that they got by cashing in the Green stamps. You could get a cup or saucer with every fill up.

The gas wars were almost over when I started driving and I remember only one time that I was able to buy gas at a ridiculous price.
not only that, remember the cups, the trinkets , the knives (steak knives if I remember correctly), to come in.
I miss those gas signs that spun up on top of the posts.

Did his wife kill him afterwards, is that why he is no longer of this earth?
It was a she and she had a good for nothing husband who was drunk most of the time. She was living separated with her three children in a run-down rental that the landlord didn't bother maintaining. I believe that she moved shortly after that and she also divorced her husband. When she went to divorce court, the judge asked her if her husband was cheating on her, She replied, "your honor, if he had enough ambition to cheat on me, I would have kept him". She was a rare person, hard working, opinionated and headstrong. Not much in the way of formal education but an inordinate amount of common sense and no time for losers.

Unfortunately, cancer took her before her time.

I remember $.25 per gallon. I freaked out when it went up to $.70

I remember gas wars when I was starting to drive. Two stations in the small town where I lived would have a gas war about once a month. We all knew to start watching and to fill up when the price hit 11 cents a gallon. It was crap gas, but the mileage was still good enough to make it worthwhile. We never shopped at the stations that gave away glasses or plates, they charged more. We did, however, have a full stock of towels that came in boxes of laundry detergent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back