2020 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talk about thick, it took me 2 days to get the khakis :bang head:

It was once said (Winston Churchill, I think) that England and America were peoples (~~~something) seperated by a common language. In my experience, Australia and New Zealand fall into that catagory as well. I have made a fool of myself more times than I can count while in New Zealand.

Colloquial expressions vary from region to region even in one country. I'm from the "deep south", a Boll Weevel is from cotton country, here! Some one from up north would have no idea what a boll weevel even is or where it resides. Try a little further back, to Tex Ritter for a better idea. A Shoo Fly is more contextual and can vary from conversation conversation. In railroading, it refers to a temporary track around a washout. It can mean any number of things from one subject to another. Some funny, some not so funny.

I grasped the concept of kahkis immediately having worked with an engineer from "Taxichusets" for years. No idea how to spell it, just know it when I hear it. Regional colloquialisms have bit more butts than have accents since there were have been different languages.

It was once said (Winston Churchill, I think) that England and America were peoples (~~~something) seperated by a common language. In my experience, Australia and New Zealand fall into that catagory as well. I have made a fool of myself more times than I can count while in New Zealand.

Colloquial expressions vary from region to region even in one country. I'm from the "deep south", a Boll Weevel is from cotton country, here! Some one from up north would have no idea what a boll weevel even is or where it resides. Try a little further back, to Tex Ritter for a better idea. A Shoo Fly is more contextual and can vary from conversation conversation. In railroading, it refers to a temporary track around a washout. It can mean any number of things from one subject to another. Some funny, some not so funny.

I grasped the concept of kahkis immediately having worked with an engineer from "Taxichusets" for years. No idea how to spell it, just know it when I hear it. Regional colloquialisms have bit more butts than have accents since there were have been different languages.

We knew about it even here in California. Turns out that the boll weavel is a little black bug, come from Mexico they say. Came all the way to Texas, just looking for a place to stay. Just looking for a home.

Do you all remember that old Chuck Berry song; My Dingaling.
You remember, "My Dingaling, My Dingaling, I want to play with My Dingaling".
I figured out what he was singing about, it was his cellphone.
Now I know what you're thinking, there were no cell phones back when that song was popular, that's true, but we all know 'Ol Chuck was way ahead of his time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back