2021 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 55 delivery for me.
That was real close to my first choice. I did a complete brake conversion a few years ago on a '64 Suburban carry-all for a friend of mine. The guy didn't know what he had at the time. His father bought it new in 1964. When he died, his son inherited it. It was a very rare vehicle. Here are the most significant specs:

2-door with side-by-side rear doors (not very common).

In-line 6 cylinder with 3-on-the-tree transmission.

Bench - buddy front seat. The buddy seat didn't 'fold'; it 'flipped' to allow access into the middle seat (again, not a very common option).

Originally a 9 passenger but he had taken the third seat out. I told him he should put it back, but he said he couldn't. I asked why; he sheepishly answered because he sold it. I came very close to having him arrested.

The vehicle was always sheltered, had never been wrecked, and only had about 90,000 original miles. He liked to drive it on a regular basis, so I told him the one thing he really ought to consider is changing over the single master cylinder to a dual cylinder. One thing led to another, and I ended up doing a complete brake conversion: 4-wheel power disc, new wheels, everything. It's a good thing I did. Some of the brake lines actually crumbled in my hands when I was taking them off. He is keeping the original wheels so that it can be converted back if he (or a future owner) ever wants to restore it, but now it's a much safer vehicle to drive.

I tried to talk him into selling it to me. Not a chance.

Here are some pictures.

Side and rear:

IMG_0894.JPG IMG_0895.JPG

Front seat:

IMG_0906.JPG

Before and after engine compartment:

IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_0949.JPG

Before and after tires and wheels:

IMG_0914.JPG

IMG_0927.JPG

What a gem.

Regards,
Terry

That was real close to my first choice. I did a complete brake conversion a few years ago on a '64 Suburban carry-all for a friend of mine. The guy didn't know what he had at the time. His father bought it new in 1964. When he died, his son inherited it. It was a very rare vehicle. Here are the most significant specs:

2-door with side-by-side rear doors (not very common).

In-line 6 cylinder with 3-on-the-tree transmission.

Bench - buddy front seat. The buddy seat didn't 'fold'; it 'flipped' to allow access into the middle seat (again, not a very common option).

Originally a 9 passenger but he had taken the third seat out. I told him he should put it back, but he said he couldn't. I asked why; he sheepishly answered because he sold it. I came very close to having him arrested.

The vehicle was always sheltered, had never been wrecked, and only had about 90,000 original miles. He liked to drive it on a regular basis, so I told him the one thing he really ought to consider is changing over the single master cylinder to a dual cylinder. One thing led to another, and I ended up doing a complete brake conversion: 4-wheel power disc, new wheels, everything. It's a good thing I did. Some of the brake lines actually crumbled in my hands when I was taking them off. He is keeping the original wheels so that it can be converted back if he (or a future owner) ever wants to restore it, but now it's a much safer vehicle to drive.

I tried to talk him into selling it to me. Not a chance.

Here are some pictures.

Side and rear:

View attachment 351183 View attachment 351184

Front seat:

View attachment 351186

Before and after engine compartment:

View attachment 351185

View attachment 351182

Before and after tires and wheels:

View attachment 351179

View attachment 351181

What a gem.

Regards,
Terry
Sorry, I don't get it. What's the punch line?

Tom

That's worth having. I've been looking for something like that to haul my parts around and pull a car trailer. Need to get car trailer also.

Just what I need, more cars right :rolleyes:

I guess there is no punch line , just a great post about a very rare truck which I'm sure everyone enjoyed reading and viewing . Maybe the punch line could be " it's a Chevy " . Lets not be so harsh on an off topic thread Tom . :rolleyes:
Sorry, I thought this was a joke thread, per the OP's stated intent. I realize this is in a forum for off topic (non-machining) threads, but didn't realize that it is also condoned going off topic in the individual threads. I sort of expect to see jokes when I click on it. My bad if that's a harsh attitude. I'll adjust my expectations. If you would like to discuss this further, my PM's are open. Or you may continue to lash me in the town square if you wish. :rolleyes:

Tom

Not lashing you one bit , but an off topic thread will go off topic . No need to send a complaint to the staff as the post was well within the websites parameters .

Reactions: tjb
Does anyone have a good recipe for chicken and/or seafood gumbo? I really want one, no joke.

Tom

• Haha
Reactions: tjb
Does anyone have a good recipe for chicken and/or seafood gumbo? I really want one, no joke.

Tom
That may not be a joke, but it's still funny! I love the stuff, myself. Let me see if my resident chef has a good one.

Regards,
Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back