2021 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago we were at a work luncheon and one of our guys dove into some salsa not realizing it was made with ghost peppers. It wasn't labeled. He nearly passed out and we all thought he was having a heart attack. Med aid arrived and treated him and it was then determined the cause was the ghost pepper. I believe they are at least twice as hot as the Habs. I like spicey, but not it has to be flavorful and can't cause damage! LOL
Back when I worked at Apple I brought some habanero peppers in and set them on the breakroom counter. I went back to my desk to print out a sign and found one of my co-workers happily munching away. Seems it didn't bother her a bit....

John

The interesting thing that I saw recently was that the capsaicin that makes the peppers hot doesn't actually burn the tissue. It reacts with specific receptor that detects body temperature and fools the nerves into thinking that they are being burned. Little comfort though when you've bitten off more than you can swallow.

I grow birds eye chillies in my garden and they are around 100,000 shu but you have to be lightning fast to pick them as the local bower birds raid the plants as soon as a hint of red shows. It seems birds are immune to the effects of capsaicin.

If you can't handle it in your mouth, don't swallow it, cuz it's going to burn like hell on the way out too. Don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:

If you can't handle it in your mouth, don't swallow it, cuz it's going to burn like hell on the way out too. Don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:
I find some peppers are like that for me, notably jalapenos. Especially the ones in a jar. But habaneros which are hotter, don't do that to me. But, yeah, there's no pain like that one. Don't need to repeat that experience.:devil:

Somebody brought a few ghost peppers to work last year... I was the only one of my crew that would eat one. I was a little disappointed in the level of heat... it was hot, but not like I expected.

The worst part was the taste... it was different than any other pepper I've eaten. I didn't care much for it.

-Bear

Come on ice cream!!!:oops:

Chuck
Years ago I made Thai food for our guests. He (the husband) had to stop at an overpass on the way home the next day to "vent". I felt sorry for him :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back