2021 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in a government office last week where I saw a young lady working furiously (Yeah! right)
She had a keyboard under each hand and two screens.
I said to the woman on the counter "Gee, that's a real nerd"
She told me off saying "You cant say that, that's stereotyping"

heating above 160º, UV radiation, or alcohol can destroy a virus, it has no effect on the prions
I remember the mad cow thing and have been surprised not to ever hearing about it again.
Deer are thick in Nebraska. I live on the edge of town and ride the rural bike trails. The deer will stand within 20' of me and just watch me go by. The state as been issuing multiple permits for quite a few years. Lots of turkeys, ducks, geese, raccoons, rabbits, possums, fox and coyotes are living in the city all over the place. I live in a zoo! And enjoy seeing all the critters.

RJ commented on eye sight going down hill. My wife & I both had cataracts that got bad. We've had the eye surgery where they replace the lens with plastic. Neat trick, eyes open while they do it but all you see is blurs. The top of the line ones are made so you don't need reading glasses because they auto focus just like you real ones did. So far they have worked great. No idea how long that will last.

CWD isn't a virus but a prion which is a protein fragment. It is not living but can replicate in a similar fashion to DNA. As such, it is extremely hard to destroy. While heating above 160º, UV radiation, or alcohol can destroy a virus, it has no effect on the prions. This is what makes them so dangerous.
Very true. Most people aren't aware of the difference.

I remember the mad cow thing and have been surprised not to ever hearing about it again.
The reason we haven't heard more of it is the British government's drastic actions were successful in quelling the outbreak. It created a lot of personal hardship though. Some British dairy and beef farmers committed suicide because of the destruction of their bovine blood lines.

On the other hand, the Wisconsin DNR's eradication program was a bust because of the resistance of Wisconsin hunters. As result CWD continues to spread and will eventually be endemic throughout the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back