Todays, This Weeks, Seemingly Unending Project

projectnut

Registered
Registered
The project started out fairly small and was only supposed to take less than a day to complete. Like most however it soon got out of control and now threatens to be one of those I may wish I'd never started.

It all began when I got a couple stains on the deck from the grill. I thought I'd just scrub them off and all would be well. A little scrubbing revealed how filthy the deck really was. With 2 bright shiny spots in a sea of green I decided I should probably just pressure wash the entire thing. I recently bought a pressure washer primarily to be used at the family cottage. I wanted an electric one since I was trying to minimize maintenance. It was a relatively inexpensive one from Northern Tool that was supposed to be capable of 4 different pressure ratings. Unlike the standard commercial ones with a triplex pump this one had an electronic control board to change motor speed rather than a valve on the pump to regulate pressure.

I hooked up the machine and started what I thought would be an afternoon's work. When I first pushed the start button NADA, NOTHING, No sounds of life. Apparently the ground fault circuit on the machine didn't like being plugged into a ground fault outlet. I finally found an outlet it would work on and all went well for nearly 5 minutes. Then the motor started to randomly change speeds, raising and lowering the water pressure. I thought maybe I didn't understand how the system was supposed to work, so I went back in the house, read through the manual for a second time, and did a search on the internet to see if anyone else was having similar experiences. Not having found anything of consequence I went back to work.

I spent the next 2 hours attempting to use the machine while trying to diagnose and repair the problem. I was able to cover a few feet of decking, but the constant speed change was getting irritating to say the least. After a frustrating afternoon I called the store to see if I could return it for something better. They agreed so I loaded it in the truck and headed over there. At first they wanted to exchange it for one of the same type. I wasn't keen on that and finally convinced them I should upgrade to a lower end commercial model. I ended up with a gasoline powered model with a triplex pump, and a Honda engine.

I spent the next morning assembling the new machine and testing it. So far it's been a great machine, but it did put a severe dent in the pocket book. Now that I have a more powerful, more portable machine the scope of the project has expanded. It started with removing a few spots, but now includes the entire deck, the benches, the lawn furniture, the sidewalks, the driveway, and the entire 2 story house with attached garage. At the current speed the project is moving it should be finished around the second week of September. That is of course making the assumption that I'll be able to work on it 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, AND it won't expand any further.

So much for a quick afternoon's work.

This is the cat's wisker's for large flat areas no stripes, and it goes real quick on large areas. I rented 1, and I'll never go back to the wand for slabs....
Home depot has them for rent.

1595355791983.png

This is the cat's wisker's for large flat areas no stripes, and it goes real quick on large areas. I rented 1, and I'll never go back to the wand for slabs....
Home depot has them for rent.

View attachment 331065

One of the best accessories I’ve purchased in a long time.

I can feel your pain. I'm on my 6th power washer, I think this one is a keeper.

I can feel your pain. I'm on my 6th power washer, I think this one is a keeper.

I still have the original one I bought used back in 1999. It's an electric low end industrial model made by Tipton Electric Motor Service out of Tipton Iowa. It has a 1.5 hp 120/240 volt Baldor motor and a General 3.0 gpm, 2,200 psi pump. I got it used for scrap price when one of our machine shops shop closed. For some reason no one wanted it.

It's been a great machine but requires a 30 amp circuit when running on 120 volts. That's not a problem at home since we have a 120 volt 30 amp outlet and a 240 volt 50 amp outlet in the garage for the motorhome. I tried using it at the family cottage, but it kept tripping the 15 amp breakers.

That's when I decided to get a cheap electric one and leave it there. Unfortunately the cheapies are just that. After a few frustrating days I took it back and traded it in on a 2.5 gpm, 3,200 psi Gas model. I ended up with this one:

Fortunately it was on sale, but it's still far more than I was intending on spending. I've been using it on the house the last couple days just to be sure it works as it should before I take it out of town. So far so good.

Remember when I said " At the current speed the project is moving it should be finished around the second week of September". We took the new pressure washer with us to the family cottage this weekend. So far I've washed the deck of the pontoon boat, the boat house, the lawn furniture, the stairway from the cottage to the lake, finished he wood deck facing the lake, the stairway from the deck to the ground, the windows and retaining wall on the lake side of the house, and some of the concrete at the front door entrance.

I was able to accomplish more in half a day than I did in 2-1/2 days with the first machine. We're heading home this afternoon to start on the house and drive. At the rate the project is expanding my original timeline seems to be accurate. I probably have a total of 8 hours on the new machine including this weekend's work, and what I've already done at home. I must say I'm impressed with the power and versatility of the machine.

Note to self.: Don't inadvertently lay your hand on the muffler shroud. It is hot just like the warning label says.

Note to self.: Don't inadvertently lay your hand on the muffler shroud. It is hot just like the warning label says.

Yes and it will damage the hose if somehow it gets where it shouldn't be while you are focused elsewhere....BTDT (no T-shirt)
#1: the replacement hose was NOT cheap and required different quick connects as well...
#2: holding those wands in unusual positions for periods of time can also require chiropractic visits, ice packs, heat rub etc.

Back